1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noobish computer question that has plagued me long enough!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doctorjazz, Mar 16, 2009.

1. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay, here goes.

So, I get that the Num Lock key is supposed to alternate the keypad between the number function and acting as arrow keys. However, whenever I have Num Lock on to use the keypad, it also changes the "u,i,o" and "j,k,l" keys over on the alphabetical side of the keyboard to "4,5,6" and "1,2,3", respectively.

1. What the hell is the point of this? I've already got one numeric keypad enabled, why would I want a second one enabled at the same time?

2. It's inconsistent about it. There have been plenty of times when the keypad and the rest of the keyboard work perfectly fine simultaneously. I would really like it to stay like this, just in case I ever get the crazy urge to write with both letters AND numbers at the same time. It just seems to change back and forth on its own, unless I'm pressing something weird and don't realize I'm doing it.

So, how do I get my keyboard to allow use of the numeric keypad while not screwing with the rest of the keyboard? It's stupid things like this that make me really miss my Mac.

Fail pics welcome if accompanied by sound advice.

2. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    You have a laptop?

3. Buy a mac.

lowsound

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Good call. Back in my helpdesk days, there was an IBM Thinkpad that had 6 different virtual keyboards, and people would somehow get onto one of them that either had high ASCII characters, or one that used the virtual keypad. The call usually came in as somebody who had locked out their account because they typed in the wrong password too many times.

5. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes.

I've been using them since the early 90's. I only last year got my first PC laptop for school. If I had my druthers...

6. I knew you were a mac guy, I just said it to get it out of the way.

lowsound

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I guess I deserve it. I'm still unabashedly in love with my iPod Touch, so I suppose I haven't left the fold completely.

8. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Had the OP meant that he had a desktop I would be dumbfounded at the lack of intelligence. A laptop I understand. I think the reason manufacturers add them to their laptops to say they have them. Whereas a regular keyboard I use the num keys daily.

9. This thread just made me turn mine on for the first time ever, interesting. I would never use it, BTW, I have a laptop.

lowsound