Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NOOO!!! GAS attack!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, May 20, 2002.

1. THe other day i was at GC, and i was playing a 1965 Jazzmaster sunburst through a used Johnson station modeling amp.. and i have a HUGE case of GAS... anyone know how to relieve it?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Look at the price tag vs how much money you'll have left.

I feel your pain. I'm on a one year moratorium on buying new basses, and I've resisted the temptation so far (I passed on a G&L L2000 that was priced at $400 and ended with no bids. I'm still feeling a little uneasy about htat one).

By the by, isn't a Jazzmaster a guitar?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm GASing for an SWR IOD...but we'll see how it stacks up when I demo it in the next little bit here...Plus, because I'm gonna start working here in a few weeks, I'm gonna add a FMC RNC.

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The JAGmaster is the guitar I believe

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    im GASing out for a five string bass (specially for a Fender Roscoe Beck... but its still kinda far unless i buy used)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Before the Jagmaster, there was the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar. They're all guitars.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I'm trying to resist a Peavey G-Bass 5 string on ebay that is at a great price.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right you are, Will.

9. Yeah.. i've got GAS today too. damn that mexican food ! :p

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Correctumundo!!!!! The Jagmaster was Kurt Cobains combination of the two older models of g***ar!!! He took the best features of both (in his eyes) and combined the names to come up with Jagmaster (I think he might have had some help from Fender though!)

Here's a thought, weren't some of the Fender Jaguars baritone guitars or is that something else I'm thinking of????

By the way - Freaky Fender, the only was to cure GAS is with an intensive course of Retail Therapy!!! The high street name for that is the 'go buy 'em' prescription!!!:D :D

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

AllodoX - it's Indian food that does that to me!!! I could generate enough to heat a small town the day after a good currie and a few beers!!:D :D

12. A good curry always exits at the same temperature as went it went in. :D

Just make sure you put your toilet paper in the fridge before you need it.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's a very active condition that makes you want to buy amps, basses, effects, hard shell cases etc!! It can generally only be cured by an intensive course of 'Retail Therapy':D ;)

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Even that moist stuff is fantasatic for curing a case of 'curry botty'!!!!:D :D

15. lol...okay thanks for explaining man!!

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

No problem!!!! Just watch out for those symptoms........you'll know if yu get it!!!:D :D

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Perhaps you are thinking of the Fender Bass VI? It is a common misconception that it is a Baritone Guitar, but Baritones are tuned a fifth below a guitar, while the Bass VI and the Danelectro UB2(or Tic Tac) bass are tuned in the same range as a four string bass, but with two additional higher strings. In other words, they are tuned an octave below a regular guitar.

Here is a pic of the Fender.

[​IMG]

Here is an old advertisment for the Danlectro.

[​IMG]

18. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Excellent choice! I love my RNC...

19. yeah, i have GAS for a guitar... but come on, a $1700 guitar and $1700 amp? i have better luck stealing the thing!!!!!