Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nooo! I think my truss rod is broken!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steamboat, Jun 7, 2001.

1. The bass in question is a 4 string Peavey Fury.. maple neck and fingerboard

I've tweaked the setup on this bass quite a bit, and this combined with a sleek J-like neck has resulted in a bass that plays quite a bit better than I'd expect a $150 bass to play. I've always been careful when adjusting my truss rod, and I did quite a bit of research before I tried it the first time.. over time I've read up more on the subject on this forum, various newsgroups and other places on the internet to make sure my methods were safe and correct.

The last time I touched the truss rod was about a week ago when I put new strings on. I tightened it a bit less than an 8th of a turn.

Last night I had the bass at band practice and everything seemed completely normal. The gigbag that I use to transport it is a fairly tough Peavey bag and I was careful when bringing it home. Nothing out of the ordinary happened to it at all last night.

This morning when I plugged in an played I noticed a strange, barely audible sort of buzzing noise. I turned my amp off and found the noise to be quite a bit louder against the unamplified sound of the bass. The rattling of a broken truss rod is actually the first thing I suspected (I've played an acoustic guitar with a broken truss rod, so the sound was vaguely familiar), but I blocked that out of my mind and checked everything to see what else could be buzzing.

The tuners and bridge seem completely secure, the strings are not rattling in the nut, and they are not buzzing against the frets. I took my pickguard off to see if anything in there could be buzzing, but it looks fine inside.

The buzzing is present with all strings, but much moreso with the E and A. It takes a more forceful pluck for it to come out with the D or G. It is more noticeable with open strings than fretted. It is not nearly as audible when amplified, but still present. It is probably most present if I strike 12th fret harmonics on all strings at once. It definitely seems to eminate out of the neck.

I tried to see if the rod gave any resistance when I tried to turn it, but I can't tell if my allen key is getting into the slot or not.... if it is there is no resistance, otherwise the rod must have somehow gotten out of reach.

Damn.

I don't think the buzz would really be a problem when playing live (at least not now). Is the neck pretty much junk now, or would it be fine to keep using it? (at least temporarily)

The neck was my favorite thing about this bass, but I suppose replacing it is the most economical way to still have a fretted bass.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry to hear it man.

3. Ouch, that sucks.:( Did you void the warranty? If not, and you are still covered, ask for a new neck.

4. I bought it used on ebay about a year and a half ago from a store that used ebay to sell some stuff. I never received any warranty information (I should have at least asked.. I was young and foolish then), and the store I bought it from is now out of business.

The bass is from the early 90's, so any warranty it might have once had is probably gone.

I'm looking into a Warmoth neck.. I sent an email asking if they'd build a neck to Musicman Stingray specifications (a Ray has a slightly greater radius and smaller width at the nut than a P neck). If I couldn't get that I'd probably go with a P neck.. I do like J necks and the Fury has one now, but I'm gravitating towards liking fatter necks more.

If I go Warmoth I might get a wenge neck and macassar ebony fretboard. Sure, it'd be more expensive then the original bass.. but I'm worth it!

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I had a truss rod snap in one of my basses, a local guitar maker removed the fingerboard, replaced the truss rod and put an ebony fretless fingerboard on for under $150 - getting it fretted will cost a little more but if you like the profile of the neck its worth thinking about.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why was this the first thing you suspected - if I hadn't done anything like over-tightening the truss rod - then it would be the last I would suspect??!!

I didn't think most acoustic guitars had trussrods??

Anyway if it is still playable, then it may well not be the trussrod - try raising the action using the bridge saddles and see if you still get the buzzing.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think that your rod is broken. You might of over tightened it, causeing a back bow in the neck which causes massive buzzing. Before you consider anything, bring it to a qualified tech. Might be as easy as a set-up.

8. Hmm.. the sound it makes is more like something shaking than it is a buzz. I guess I should have been more clear. It definitely isn't any sort of fretbuzz: if I hold all of my strings still and off of the neck, and hit the back of the neck gently with my other hand, I get the shaking sound.

I also raised one of my strings at the bridge so that it had a fairly large visible gap between all of the frets, played it with the rest of the strings muted, and the rattle still happened.

Thanks for the input though.

(by the way, I think acoustic guitars with truss rods may be somewhat of a rarity, but this one definitely did as the truss rod was visible.. I paged through a Musician's Friend catalog and there were a few acoustics that had what appeared to be truss rod covers on their headstocks)

9. the most well known brand, Martin, has no trussrods, but i think most acoustics do. mine does, in any case.

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I thought almost all steel string guitars had trussrods. Classical guitars with nylon strings usually don't have trussroads.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nope, almost every acoustic I've ever seen for more than about $50 has had one....it's the only way you can adjust the action without sanding the saddles or bridge! My brother has a $100 acoustic that he got to learn on, and it's got one.