Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noooo, not again!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucfor, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Here I go again!!

I can't stop changing my mind about the new cab I am going to buy. I think I need some help.

I am almost decided to go for a 4x10 as a single cab (no money for 2 cabs). I have tried few cabs available here in Europe for the price I can afford - around 800 euros (or dollars, more or less).
    I compared a Warwick 411 pro with an Ashdown 410 h, and preferred the latter. I also tried a Mark Bass 410 standard (Italian brand) wich was ok. At the end, I was almost decided on the Ashdown 410. But now I have seen that I can get an EBS 410 for 800 euros and I am tempted to buy it. But I don't think I have the chance to try it before.

I have heard some people say that it's got enough bottom end for a 5 string bass, others are not too convinced.

I play a Yamaha TRB 5 PII through a Hughes and Kettner bassbase 400 head.

What do you think? EBS or Ashdown?

Thanks!!

Luca

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I firmly believe in try before you buy. I even try to borrow or hire equipment I'm thinking about buying so I can try it where it counts - at a gig. This is not always possible but I certainly wouldn't buy something I haven't heard with my own ears. Too risky.

3. The EBS has plenty of bottom end, but it's not a particularly warm cabinet. It has a bit of a metallic edginess to it. That's not a bad thing, just a different flavor. Make sure you try before you buy.