1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noooob Question: What is the purpose of a gate switch on a fuzz pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crazy Otto, Feb 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    like it says in the title: what is the purpose of a gate switch on a dirt pedal? just to reduce background noise, or does it do something more?

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Better than describing, showing whilst describing, from a fellow TBer too ;)

Right at the 10 minute mark if it doesnt take you to it

Crazy Otto likes this.
  3. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    A gate in a pedal helps cut on hiss and noise in dirt pedal, allowing very high gains without the risk of feedback squeal.
    Gated fuzz as I gathered, doesn't use a gate to produce its effect. It's a misnomer. When transistors are not "properly" biased, the sound can get chocked and lacking sustain as if a really strong gate was applied but its just the transistors failing to work "properly" i.e with a smooth attack and decay.

Crazy Otto likes this.
  4. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    thanks for the info. so basically a fuzz pedal with the gate engaged will be very synthy sounding, if i understand correctly...good to know.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Choppy sounding" is closer.

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. Really good example of what a gate does to the sound: