Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nooooo! I stripped a screw!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 43apples, May 24, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i was adjusting the pickup heigth on my bass, and as i were lowering the pickup, i accidentaly stripped the head on the screw. I supposei didnt do anything wrong, i used the rigth screwdriver, didn't use too much force or anything, but somehow the "+" just became an "o" :rolleyes: .

So, now i can't get the pickup up or down, and i can't get the screw out. Anything i could do, without having to buy expensive tools or sending it to a luthier?

Thanks,
    -Erlend

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    got a dremmel? or a similar tool?

you're going to either need to cut a slot in the top for a flathead screwdriver, or you'll need a pair of pliers or vicegrips to twist it slowly out.

either way, you're screwed (bad pun sorry...), cause you'll need a new one obviously...

3. take a small metal tube, brass, steel, brake line, the antenna from the old ladies Lexus :eek: anything with just enough diameter to go over the screw in the wood. Now with a file, make a series of small notches in the end of the tube. You don't have to make "teeth" per se, just clean notches. Chuck it in your hand drill and spin it over the screw. Take your time and clear the debris it makes and it will hog out around the screw just enough to either A. grab it with another pair of pliers or B. totally remove it altogether with your fingers.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks guys!

With some aggresive plier work and lots of cursing, i managed to remove the screw from the bass. :hyper:

Now i just need a new screw that's excactly the same length and size! Where can i find that?! :bawl:

-Erlend

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You could search the net for some european supplier, there should be one or two. But price may turn out the same.
    Or you can go to a good music shop close to you, they usually have some spare parts.
    Or you can take the screw and go to a local hardware store, and ask if they can arrange one.
    Or you can use gaffa tape, and just forget about that screw :eek:
    Or...maybe not...

7. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    that'd be gehtto.... :D