1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NooooO!!!! Q-Tron died!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Happynoj, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Help me! My micro Q-Tron has died! I haven't played with it for about 3 or 4 weeks due to holidays, work, etc, and I came back to it today and it isn't working :bawl:

When I turn it on with the switch nothing happens - no sound, no lights, nothing...

I don't use batteries, the power supply appears to be working (it powers other pedals), my daisy chain seems to be functional. I took the back off but I couldn't see any fried components.

WHAT IS WRONG?! WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT??!!! :bawl:

2. sorry to hear that i remember you telling me that q-tron being on of your favorites but maybe now you got a good reason to get a couple of more filters :p

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    True...

The Prometheus clips were very tempting....

OTOH, If I'm shelling out £60 for a pedal, I don't expect it to break within 6 months...

4. HAHA there you go!:D

yeah i understand. actually i have never really heard of a analogue pedal just going dead. maybe it might just *pop* start working when you plug in tomorrow?

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Have you checked for loose solder joints at the switch? IME, some of the EHX pedals I've owned did the same thing as your Micro Q and that was the culprit. Hope this helps.

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Good suggestion - I'll check it out.

7. Do you get clean tone with the Qtron on or off at all, or does absolutely nothing make it through at anytime?

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I get clean tone when the effect is turned off. As soon as I turn it on there is nothing at all - the bypass light doesn't even turn on.

9. Have you tried it with a battery? That might tell you if the problem is at your power jack.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Well, I checked for loose/dry solder, couldn't see any.

Then, I tried a battery - it lives! I don't believe I didn't think of that before. I must have been having a really bad day :scowl:

Looks like the problem is with the power. However, I am sure it is not the power supply - I tried two different power supplies and neither worked. I then tried the power supplies with other pedals, and they both appear to be working perfectly.

Therefore I conclude that it must be a problem with how the electricity is getting inside the pedal - damned devil magjik!!! What could the problem be? The joint between the power jack and the board seems to be fine, the centre pin is intact and doesn't seem to be bent -what else should I look for?

Thanks guys - you have helped me so much already!

11. I would guess that there is a problem inside the jack, or that the solder points are un-good. The problem with the XO series is that it is really hard to do any work or inspection on the guts with such small components. I wish I had further suggestions for you, but at this point I would be scratching my head for solutions as well.

12. bearpaw

bearpaw

Jul 27, 2008
    vienna
    my advice: get a qtron+. tried both and the + really beat the micro. less hum and meatier sounds.

13. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    My qtron plus died a few years back, the chips all fried out....had a guy fix it and he rebuilt it using better components sounds way better now.

14. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    if its less than 6 months old send it back under warranty

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    :eyebrow: