Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norah Jones- Feels like Home

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Mar 2, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I just bought the deluxe edition of this with the DVD. She's absolutely radiant! and her voice is just so ...indescribably beautiful. Any other Norah fans on here?

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I met her when she was in town durign the jazz festival a few years back. I don't actually know if she was playing or just taking in the music but she was very friendly and a really cool lady.

3. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I love Norah Jones!!!!
    I've watched a couple of her DVD's they are great... yet to see her live though...:bawl:

Lee Alexander, her bassist is a great player too.:hyper:

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Love her.

5. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I'm a huge fan. I got all the cds and dvd stuff, and also a bunch of bootlegs. She has amazing skills and the piano, but does never play 'too much'.

oh btw, Lee Alexander (the bassplayer in her band) is her boyfriend :)

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    rats, there go my chances.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Her music isnt my thing, but she went to high school with me and dated a good friend of mine for a year or two. She was always a talented pianist and singer, even then, and always super nice.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Love her music- it all gives you the feeling of sitting outside on a warm summer evening.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah - it's very soothing. Of all the ladies out there I want singing to me, especially at night, she's at the top of the list.

I remember when her first album came out, I played it often while going to sleep. ahhhhh

10. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    +1 big time

The bits I can add are that I historically liked prog-heavy things, "math" oriented music like Rush. Still do.

But NJ's music just effuses emotion and imagery, without being "technically" challenging (don't get me wrong - it'd challenge me to play it, and much more so to write it to get that emotional connection; And there is a lot of emotion in a lot of prog music). It's inspirational, and listening to such music (plus a lot of blues recently) is to helping me strive for that in my writing.

Finally, I find it interesting watching my little girl be so "connected" to the NJ song "Sunrise". I assume that's because of what I mention above, and it's interesting that the same "connection" works for her, too.

HooBass

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Is there any buzz on her touring again? I'd like to catch her next time around.