Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norah Jones

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jan 13, 2003.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Anybody else knocked out with this representative from the other end of the band?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :confused:

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, very nice. However, I heard her album and I wasn't as impressed (as with the single), but maybe I need to hear it again...

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The more I listen the more I like. I did know about the Ravi connection.

5. I almost started a thread about her last week. I love her sound. I was under the impression that she was the primary songwriter but her guitarist and bass player wrote the bulk of the originals (all are quality). The songs she did write are very good. She's also very good at interpreting the standards she does (Cold Cold Heart).

What do you think of her Bass Player (Lee Alexander)?

6. I caught all the buzz about NJ from the various jazz mags, but when I checked out the snippets from her CD at Barnes & Noble, I wasn't impressed. Too much folk/country, not enough jazz, especially considering she attended UNT. I kept waiting to hear a sharp nine or a flatted 5th -- ANYTHING.

Nevertheless, I bought it and, like Ray, I have to admit that its growing on me. I'm very curious to hear what she'll sound like with a few more years under her belt.

Her bass player is mixed pretty far back in the mix, but he seems to be a solid, supportive player.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I just saw Lizz Wright. She's one of the best singers I've ever seen. Definately worth checking out.

8. Just listened Col Cold Heart, nice refreshing to hear.
    Mike

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I love the sense of space on the disc - stripped down to the bare essentials and at times just short of monolithic, which makes it easier to hear the sound of each voice. Very tasty. FWIW, I couldn't care less if it's jazz, and I think the lone jazz "chestnut" (The Nearness of You) is easily the weakest cut on the disc.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I like the album. The rest of it doesn't quite match up to "Don't Know Why" for me - but a good album, not bad songs, some nice playing, and she's got a really nice voice.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Me likee.

12. I like the all-acoustic production.

It's definitely not jazz. Who's calling it jazz?

Got some great players on it... Brian Blade, Bill Frisell, etc.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The Jazz influence is very definitely there - though I wouldn't call it Jazz as such, either.

14. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    yeah, norah's pop through and through, to my ears. sultry, countrified pop. and man, is she a beautiful woman to look at. and what a yummy voice. a good 'vibe' album.

i've listened to half the album, with 3/4 ears, twice, and the bassist plays notably and repeatedly out of tune. not all the time, but here and there and they don't get corrected. i'm surprised nothing was done about this in production (let alone during tracking) since it seems to be a high-profile album.

sean p

15. I like it too, and I think the out of tune bits add to the flavour (!) You can find fault with most albums if you listen closely enough. They obviously considered it unimportant.

16. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    her voice kills me from the moment i heard it. immediately, i checked out her website AND she's hot! the best news is that she's shackin' up with her bass player.

we're such studs.

-erik

17. Angelofmusic022

Angelofmusic022

Mar 9, 2003
    DE
    im a new user and am tryin to get the tabs for "dont know why" . . . can one of you guys help me find it??? :confused:

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Asking for tabs in the DB forum... that's a little brave :D

I'm not going to tab it for you - but here are the changes as I hear them (it's in Bb)

(Intro)

Bbmaj7 Bb7 | Eb D7+ | Gm7 C7 | F7sus |

(Verse 1)

Bbmaj7 Bb7 | Eb D7+ | Gm7 C7 | F7sus Bb |

Bbmaj7 Bb7 | Eb D7+ | Gm7 C7 | F7sus Bb | Gm7 C7 | F7sus Bb |

(Verse 2)

(Bridge)

Gm7 | C13 | F7 | F7 |

Gm7 | C13 | F7 F7/Eb F7/D F7/C |

...etc.

The D7+ is debatable - in fact many of the changes are sorta implied, rather than stated, but I'm hearing that as an augmented chord rather than a straight D7.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    At the risk of putting myself in the way of the wrath of FOGHORN, I think the descending chromatic line in the guitar implies it pretty clearly. Been a while since I listened to it, though....