Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Norah's bassist using two DB's!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I happened to see Norah Jones with The Handsome Band on TV last night. Now, this show was taped in Nashville, so i'm figuring that it's the bands home base because the bass player...sorry, don't remember his name...brought TWO DB's to the gig. He also played some slab.
    Anyway he played a little German flat-back for most of the gig. Then, when guest artist Dolly Parton came out, the bass player came down front and played an old beat up Kay. I can only guess that this guy is just a real nit-picker when it comes to having exactly the sound he wants for whatever the material calls for.
    Anybody have any knowledge or insight into this guy or what this was all about.
    Of course, i'm also figuring that he doesn't do this on the road.
    I can see it now at the airport....this axe is for ballads, this one is for sambas and, well...you got the idea?

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    That's nuts! I would do it too, of course, first if I had TWO basses and Roadies..........and groupies...........

Paul, maybe the Kay had guts on it and the other bass had spiros? I'm curious about this

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    When I saw them at Austin City Limits, he was playing what appeared to be an older Cleveland. I did not get close enough to confirm or deny...could be wrong. I dig his style though. Simple and tasteful...Sparse is real hard to do. It's easy to think you're doing it...but spend some time in the studio, and then listen to playback and think about how many possibly un-necessary notes you may be putting in when trying to achieve that end goal...tough!

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Word.

Can you say "Charlie Haden"? :cool:

5. Every time I read this it still cracks me up. I think I remember that thread. Is it still around or did it get 86'd?

Maybe the two basses were just to facilitate the change of location - not having to unplug, plug back in, etc. Or if there were major vocal monitors up front, maybe he needed a bass and pickup that was very feedback resistant, whereas this might not have been preferable for the whole show.

I dig the sparse thing, too.

6. His name is Lee Alexander and he was featured in an article on bassplayer magazine. according to the article this is what he plays: ’20s German Pfretzschner strung with Thomastik Spirocores; ’42 Kay M-1 ; u-size Juzek. I have no idea what u-size means.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've heard he's married to NJ, which makes him a great player...and a great player;)

8. I'm trying to figure out how I can take all 4 basses to a gig :bag:

:D

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Ford 15 passenger van, and some bikini-clad roadies... :bassist:
    They could hold them, like umbrellas, for racer-guys when you're not playing them.

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Charge entrance at the front door of your house!

11. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    He's from San Francisco. When he left he said "I'm moving to New York--got a gig with my girlfriend, Norah".

Adam Levy, their guitarist is also from here (SF)

bob

12. jbahleda

jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I was fortunate enough to chat with him after a show he did in Columbus Ohio. I dont think he and Norah Jones are married yet, but I think they are engaged (not sure really). They are based out of New York city and the man is lucky enough to be able to tour with two uprights and at least two electrics.
    On a personal note, he was a really, really nice guy. I spent more time chatting with him than with any of the others in the band. He aparently is also into producing and he just recorded/produced an album by the Philidelphia singer/songwriter Amos Lee.
    As a geeky amature at playing the double bass, I must say that was a pretty cool evening for me.