1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nord DC Series/Single Coil/Parallel wiring question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Aug 16, 2007.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    How can you tell which coil (in single coil mode) you're selecting when you wired a Nord DC pickup for series/single coil/parallel?

I would like to have the outermost coils active, and wasn't sure on wiring.

I dug this up in a search:

"Black is hot, green is ground (plus the bare wire) , red and white are the tap wires.
    For series connect black to the hot, green and bare to ground and tape off the connected red and white wires.
    For parallel, black and red go to hot, and green and white go to ground with the bare wire."

But for single coil, how do I know which one is outer, and which is inner coil?

Thanks.

c5

2. Check them with an ohmmeter, with all the leads disconnected.
    I’m guessing the outer coil has the black lead. So you should get a reading between the black and either the red or white. Then the other lead will give you a reading to the green lead.

To be exact email Nordstrand they can answer more specifically and probably give you tips on the wiring.

MM

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    This might help. It's from the Nordstrand forum. When in single coil mode the outer coils of each pup are selected.

Attached Files:

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys.

From this diagram, it looks like I would wire both switches exactly the same then? Is that correct?

I guess Carey has it wired assuming that we want the outer coils for each pickup.

5. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Actually the switches aren't wired the same, but are wired for the outer coils.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    lol.

my bad. yes. i see they're wired differently. Thanks. This should do the trick!