Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordie MM pickups....Yikes!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marwady, Nov 7, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    OK, remember this at dinnertime when you were a kid:

"Try it, how do you know you don't like it unless you try it first?" :)

I recently aquired a killer, late '90s Stingray 4 from Jivetkr here on TB. He was even gracious enough to toss in a Nordstrand MM 4.2 still in the box (ok,tube) with the deal.

I set it up, plugged it in, and SHAZAAM, I fell in love. It is my 1st MM bass and it is everything and more, posted here.

I now have GAS for a MM fiver. Since my budget won't allow a SR5, I thought I would try a Tony Levin OLP. I found one on the 'bay for a good price and it is on the way.

I figured I would sell the Nordie and find a stock MM pickup to replace the OLP, if needed, since I loved the tone of the stock 4 so much.

A friend of mine's band has a new bass player with a Stingray and wanted the Nordie. He had heard a guy with one in a recent trip to NYC and thought it sounded great. I figured, how much better could it sound than the killer tone I already have?

Well, he couldn't come up with the cash and the deal fell through. Curiosity got the best of me so I swapped out the pup and OUCH.... as good as mine sounds, the Nordie is all of that and more. Bigger, fatter with punchier mids and nice, transparent highs.

I will try the stock pup in the TL OLP first but a Nordie 5.2 is already on the way from Jay at Blueberry Hill. I will post the results as soon as I get it all together.

To all of you 'Ray fanatics out there, you gotta try these Nordstrand pups, they're amazing!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

interesting, I didn't find them much different from any other alnico 5 MM's I've had. So little in fact I sold mine and kept a Carvin alnico 5 MM.

3. I love my Nordstrand 5.3 in my SR5 too :) Haven't heard other replacement pu's, but luknfur might be right in assuming that the main difference is in the materials used instead of who made them. But both Carey Nordstrand and Jay is great to deal with, so I'll recommend that solution anytime :)

PS: I thought "yikes" was meant that you didn't like what you were tricked to try?! :meh: ;)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I saw yesterday where someone had a good price on an original Ray in the classifieds. I'm hoping the dude that bought the Carvin I later sold (after I got an original Ray) bought that Ray pup. He didn't seem too impressed with the Carvin so I wonder what he'd think of the Ray. Of course knowing what something actually is probably bias's more players ears than the tone itself.

I got nothing against Caire's stuff. I wish it wasn't so popular cause I'd like to try more of it myself.

5. Hehe... think I know the feeling.