Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstand in my Fender

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Hi

I have a Fender 62' vintage and the pick-ups are really dead. The output is really low. Now I want put Nordstrand jazz picks in my Fender. There is the NJ4 and NJ4SE but which model is the rigth one for a passive jazz bass.

Can anyone help me?

I think I buying the picks from bestbassgear....

Christian

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    They will both fit and both will work in a passive setup. The NJ4's are single coile, while the SE's are a humcancelling version. The different winding not only gives cancels hum, but also gives a different tonality. Nordies are great pickups in my opinion and you will probably love them. If you look in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum there is a link to "Smash's Summer Pickup Showdown" where smash reviews tons of different J pickups. He does an excellent job of decribing the tones of both the NJ4's and the NJ4SE's. I recommend you read the whole thread, to give yourself an educated buying experience. That said, I love the sound out of my NJ4SE's - they are my favorite Pu in either passive or active setups. I got mine from bestbassgear.com, because they are the forum sponsor here, and I like to support TB whenever possible. (directly or indirectly)

3. Thanks a lot.
    I will read the review and the change Nordstand to Nordstrand ;)

4. Oh man!
    Great review. Loves talkbass.

I think I will go with the NJ4 to have the vintage sound. As soon bestbassgear will get them in stock I will buy a pair.
    Do they come with pick cover?

Thanks again for the help

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes, they come with pickup covers.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was in the same situation as you Hou. I ended up buying a set of NJ4's, and a set of NJ4SE's. They are each unique, and it was too hard to pick one. I haven't installed them yet since I am still waiting for them to arrive.

I found Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass to be really helpful with info on the Nordstrand pick-ups. Then again, I think he knows everything there is to know about bass pickups from all brands.

-Mike

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'll agree with what you say about Jay Lewis. He is a top notch guy, and his service IMHO is probably the best I've ever received from a dealer. I'll bet he has those Nordstrands in stock, because he sells a lot of them. He is JPJ here at talkbass-shoot him a PM,he always responds very fast, very curtious.

SMASH found the NJ4's to work better in a passive mode bass. My guess is, if you get those, and get a full shield job done on your bass, you won't have noise issues.

Nordstrands are awesome pickups IMHO. You're gonna love'em :hyper:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The amount of smart guys who post on TB continues to amaze me. Thank you for the insight Beefbass, I would have never thought of that. :)

I rarely play my bass in passive mode since I love active mode so much. I am hoping to properly shield the bass when I put the new pickups in. This is all new ground for me. I have been a "plug in and play" bass player. I never experimented with pickups, strings, and the such.

I am so excited about the Nordies. I should have the NJ4SE's by Tuesday, and Mike Lull is going to install them for me. I have NO clue how to do it.

-Mike

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I am not the smartest guy on the planet, but i can do just about all the "bass tech" type adjustments to my bass. Changing PUs, Preamps, setups, fret levels, etc... Talkbass has been great in this regard. With the proper use of the search engine and a litte patience and know how, a guy can do a whole lot to get the bass tone/feel he's always wanted. Thanks again, TBers!!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I looked around for a walk through on replacing pick-ups but did not find it.

-Mike

11. Thanks for alle the inputs.

I think I will go with the NJ4 because I will not use any preamp with the bass. It nice to have a bass which sounds vintage. Most people I play with likes the bass alot!
    But also have I thought about selling the Fender and buy a active bass. I been thinking on Sadowsky metros!

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    One thing to consider: If you keep your bass passive, you can always add an Aguilar or Sadowsky stomp-box preamp later to do the same thing an active bass will without modifying your bass.

13. Yeah I know.

I have thought about that many times! I likes things simple and the idea of a bass that do it all, is the thing for me. Take the bass out and plug in to the amp!
    So I don't think a preamp works for me :smug: