nordstand split jazz 5's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Sep 17, 2005.

1. I am currently useing dimarzio ultra jazz 5's on my mexican fender jazz bass. i had to re route the bass so that the 2 new (smaller) pickups fit. and i heard nordstrand finally came out with a split coil jazz 5 set. i'm likeing my dimazio's, but i just wanna know if it is worth spending the money (around 500) to buy the nordstrand set, probobly a new routeing job, a wireing job and possibly a new pickguard. worth it? does anyone know how the diffrence would be tonally? i'm currently playing rock music, and i'm looking for a growlly agressive tone.
  2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    $500 for a Nordstrand Jazz set? How many sets are you buying.

2 possible things you might be looking at:

1. The humcancelling Nordstrand jazz pickups. Same size as a single coil jazz pickup.

2. The Signature Dual Coil humbuckers. Similar to the Fodera/Aero dual coil pickups. Wired similar to 2 jazz pickups under 1 cover. Able to do series, parallel or single coil or a combination of the 3

From what you say, seems like you are wanting option #2 since you talk about routing out. Your jazz would be similar to a Reverend Brad Houser or Fender Roscoe Beck, right?

If it is another option, might need to give more details.

Neither option should cost $500. You could probably do BOTH options for $500, but not in the same bass.

Do a search for Nordstrands on the site. Lots of good info. Nordstrand and the dealers are always very helpful with any further information that you might need.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not entirely clear on what exactly the scenario is here, but I'll try to help out. I'm not sure why you had to route your bass to install pickups that were slightly smaller (unless you're referring to the screw mounts), but you shouldn't have any problems with the Nordstrands fitting. As for the cost, I hope that you aren't saying that the price of the pickups are going to be $500 for a NJ5FS set (which is the model set that you would want for your bass). I'm guessing that the $500 figure is a total of what you would spent for both sets of pickups, routing, pickguard, and the other issues you mentioned concerning the DiMarzios you previously installed. As far as tone goes, you can expect the NJ5FSs to sound very similar to the hum-canceling pickups that Carey makes for 4-string basses, except in a 5-string package for Fender/Lakland basses. I hope that helps. ;)
  4. what i meant was the pickups being 250 and the installation adding the rest, because i would have it wired in series/parallel and all the mods i currently have.
    my bass has white pickguard around both pickups to cover holes that are around the pickups because they are smaller than the holes. and if i were to install the nordstrands, i'de have to get made another set of these pickguards to go around the pickup holes for the nordstrands.
    it would be a pretty big thing to install them into my bass more than other basses, and i was just wondering if it's worth the time and money.
    also, i would want a single coil looking pickup, unlike the roscoe/brad houser basses.

Attached Files:

5. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    It's too bad you modified that bass so heavily already. My NJ5FS will drop right into the stock routs on that model.
    It's quite a bit of money to spend on my pickups and all the other stuff you need to get them up and running. But, I should tell you that in my experience, the DiMarzio UJ have a cleaner and more hi-fi tone when compared to my NJ5FS'. My pickups generally have more full and complex mids but still retain nice highs. Good bottom end too. More vintage than the DiMarzio's. If thats what you like, then you'll probably like my pickups.
    Anyway, I hope that helps.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the photo...that helps in understanding the issue. As Carey indicated above, the NJ5F and NJ5FS pickups would have just dropped into the stock routes. If there's anyway that you can "un-modify" your bass, it would be a pretty easy transition to make. If those pieces of white pickguard are not permanently attatched to cover the old routes, then you might be in business.