Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand - a few questions for those in the know...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 29, 2004.

1. OK, I've been looking round the various threads that have been posted here about the utterly gorgeous Nordstrand basses and I have a couple of questions. I'm based here in London, England, and at some stage (when I've saved a good couple of grand, sterling) I'd love to order one of Carey's awesome basses - but he's like - in the US...so question is -has anyone else here had to do a long distance order before? Also what are his build times like? I have been waiting ages for my fretless 5 from a little know UK luthier, Jeff Chapman, and I am a patient guy - but I just wondered how fast Carey's turnover is - what the waiting list is like etc?

I'm kidding myself that I'll be able to afford one soon anyway as I already need a new computer, sofa, house, car, life...only joking but life's expensive here in the Big Smoke!

Love to hear your thoughts...

PS I'd probably go for a thru-neck NC Delux - or a single cut SC - so high end price-wise

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Last I heard Carey's wait time is about 8-9 months!

I had a NJ4 deluxe on order with him and it is now in the batch that he just started on. I placed my order with him back in Sept of 2003.............if you truely want an amazing bass, the wait is not an issue. Once he starts building it should take about a month or so.
    This will be my second NJ4!

But now that Carey has a Helper it might go a lot quicker!

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Man, I would work for Carey for free if he would be willing to teach me. :D

Too bad I live two hours away. :scowl:

4. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm waiting for the Nordie "AG' bass...hopefully soon! :help: :hyper:

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    FYI,
    As of last week...
    Carey is now quoting 11-12 months......and I got the impression that was minimum...

YMMV

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm from Singapore - and I have a NS SC that's slated for the next batch :) It'll be much faster if you order through a dealer.
    I ordered mine through Adrian of <a href="http://www.accessbass.com">Accessbass</a>
    The waiting time for me has been about 3 months so far, and optimistically speaking, the current batch will be completed by July. That means my batch should be completed around Oct - Nov, which brings the total waiting time to ard 8 months.

But on the brighter side of things, Carey has just hired a helper, so things mught move a little faster than before... so we'll see how that goes.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The fact that Carey now has some help will throw a wrench in trying to detremine an accurate prediction of turnaround times until we can see how things go. Based on my experience, prior to Carey's assistant arriving, I would have conservatively estimated a turnaround time of 11-12 months. However, I'm hopeful and optimistic that we can start to shave a couple of months off of that time. The bottom line....if you want one, just jump in the fray and reserve a slot. ;) I'm sure our fellow TBers will jump in here and tell you how pleased and amazed they have been with their Nordstrands. :D Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help out.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    By the way, concerning your question above, don't forget to add VAT taxes and other import costs to the total of the bass you're looking to order. I belive that the VAT tax is 17.5%, but I'd use 20% as a general guide just to get a ball-park figure of the "extra" you'll have to pay when you pick up your bass from customs.

9. Yeah - that's a really good point - I always forget that there's that tp consider as well - I still think that as I tend to look at most other basses and am left cold by the shape, wood and usually the playability that the nonly way to go in the future is custom made. The guy who's building my fretless 5 right now is such a wonderful craftsman that I know every inch of the bass will be loving created and made to an extremely high standard - shop bought basses all tend to look similar and play similar - IMO obviously - and so many 'name' basses dissapoint - that I really can't see myslef getting anything else. Carey's basses just look amazing and if they play anywhere near as good as everybody says they do then i am really serious about getting one in the future.

Thanks for your advise and info - Mxx

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    No problem! :D The other thing to consider at the moment for those in the UK (Europe) is the favorable advantage you have in the exchange rates right now. I know that there are several UK TBers who have taken advantage of this recently and have been able to get some very good deals on U.S. gear. Just one more thing to consider that wasn't mentioned above.