1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Audio releases The Big BladeMan

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 31, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Redlands, CA – August 14, 2017 Beware - this pickup emits an unsettling amount of raw power, creating the possibility that those who wield the Big BladeMan may engage in band practices and performances that may singe the frayed ends of corrosive frequency. This pickup’s power is enhanced by filtering its aggression through a custom tailored 3B preamp, which adds a depth of fury to its already candescent vigor by perpetuating its hunger for the destruction of sounds weakly whispered. The Big BladeMan is the Papa of our up and coming blade arsenal, and is all knowing and all powerful in terms of what the blade line stands for tonally: mean, gritty, big, powerful, bombastic, and LOUD. This pickup combined with its own custom preamp will not disappoint any player looking to desecrate the silence of the lambs.

The birth of the Big Blade Man was catalyzed by a conversation with Tool’s Justin Chancellor.Through using Justin’s famous tone as a base for shaping the pickup’s sonic character, Carey was able to come up with a design combining the Nordstrand aesthetic with Justin’s edgy and powerful bass lines. Essentially, through using the power we have discovered within the prospects of our various blade designs, Carey attempted to Nordify a few details within Justin’s sound.*

*Any reference on this website to Tool, or Justin Chancellor, or services related to such person or organization, does not constitute or imply the endorsement or recommendation.

Extensively designed, tested and built in the Nordstrand shop in Redlands, California. These pickups are available now at NordstrandAudio.com and select dealers. Street prices start at $169 per set.

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigBladeMan4__front.

Technical Details:
    2 Big J-Blades in an MM cover
    Drop-in replacement 4-String and 5-string MM bass pickup
    Ceramic magnets
    Laser cut vulcanized fiber bobbins
    Wax-potted to contain any unruly frequency that may attempt to desecrate your desired tone.

Founded by respected bass guitar maker and pickup builder Carey Nordstrand in 2005, Nordstrand Audio offers innovative designs rooted in traditional tried-and-true methods and materials. The fast-growing company offers premium quality replacement pickups and preamps to discriminating guitarists and bassists, as well as expanding into the world of effect pedals via his Rocket Surgeon brand.

2. bass40hz

bass40hz Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    I would love to pop one of these in my new Kiesel and make some ears bleed ;-)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Carey likes this.
  3. Ugh I want one so bad. Justin Chancellor is my favorite bass player and I'm in love with his tone. Anything that can get me closer to his sound (besides a Wal) is good in my book. I hope it sounds good in a Sub Ray 4.

Carey, gregmon79 and TonyP- like this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This is insane!!! I must have one to try in my ATK 300!! I'm adding this to the GAS list!

Carey likes this.
  5. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    The pickup looks very cool and probably sounds very good considering Carey's previous work, could do without all the hyperbole in the ad copy, this pickup will stand on its own.

Carey, matante, andrew and 1 other person like this.
  6. I feel the same way about the way they talk about their pickups. No real mention about the tones, only baloney that I presume they think is witty. That's why people are always asking "has anybody tried the Nordstrand xyz pickup?".

Carey and andrew like this.
  7. I would really like to hear a demo of it, but so far they haven't released one that I know of. It would make sense to let us hear this amazing new pickup they have. I'm very, very interested, but I would like to kind of have an idea of what it might sound like in my setup.

hisdudeness likes this.
  8. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Question: will this fit in an older OLP Musicman?

9. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Carey has said many times that he likes word play and metaphors. See: "Rocket Surgeon"

MDBass and Carey like this.
  10. Kyler_Welsch

Kyler_Welsch

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    "History: This pickup’s blueprint is Carey’s take on the highly praised and nowadays rarely seen Wal® Bass Pickup. It is a simpler, more hands on design whose monstrous tone is easy to manipulate and shape to fit any player’s own personal style.

*The JC-3b preamp is specifically configured to work with the Dual Big BladeMan pickups in a manner that brings out the edgy penetrating mids and high end character so widely recognized as essential to Justin’s iconic tone. We use a 500k volume pot and the common side of the blend pot is left ungrounded. Also, we have trim pots mounted for each pickups that allow one to balance (turn down) the series output to the parallel output. With all of these tweaks, the JC 3 band preamp, when combined with the Dual Big BladeMan pickups provides a rarefied degree of versatility, delivering everything from the mid forward grindy presence of classic JC tone to a super fat, wide, and deep modern sound with loads of punch."

Noticed this was added to the description on the website. @Carey is this pickup/preamp combo your take on the traditional "Wal sound?" Will you be listing the preamp separately on the website or have any more info on it? Sounds samples of pickup and/or preamp would be the bee's knees! Justin Chancellor's sound is a clear descriptor for one sound this new product can accomplish but I for one am interested in seeing the range these will put out.

11. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    From the Nordstrand site:

MM4:
    Length: 4.0” (101.6 mm)
    Width: 1.895” (48.13 mm)

With the five it looks like you get your choice of radius 14" or 20" as well as your choice of wide or narrow.

MM5 Wide Shape:
    Length: 4.60” (116.84 mm)
    Width: 1.90” (48.26 mm)

MM5 Narrow
    Length: 4.42” (112.14 mm)
    Width: 1.95” (49.53 mm)

No mention of depth on any of them, though.

12. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I'd like to try a pair of Dual Big BladeMan pickups with the JC-3b preamp in a new build but haven't seen them for sale online. Are they just special order through Nordstrand? They don't seem to be available through resellers like bestbassgear.com and others yet.

13. Kyler_Welsch

Kyler_Welsch

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    Pickup: Big BladeMan 4

Preamp: 3 Band Preamps

I would assume since it's on the Nordstrand site that you could order it from bestbassgear.com or the like if you ask. They may just be slower to update their site since they supply for a myriad of brands and products.

14. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Are these 4-conductor?
    Maybe my stock 4-string $$ needs me to pour more $ into it.

15. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    corrosive frequency
    depth of fury
    candescent vigor
    destruction of sounds weakly whispered

These are all good names for a band.

16. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Would the JC-3b preamp also work with a pair of Big Rig pickups which are also dual coil and hum-cancelling?

17. Kyler_Welsch

Kyler_Welsch

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    Carey just posted this on Facebook. Sounds amazing!

son_of_mogh likes this.
  18. Ugh they sound great. I bet they sound even better with a little overdrive. I need one!