Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand Basses: 5.3 Earthquake Today in Yucaipa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Jun 16, 2005.

1. There was a sizeable Earthquake today in the Yucaipa area in Southern California.

As fate would have it, the earthquake MIGHT HAVE caused both Adler and Nordstrand to stumble upon the elusive TRIPLE-CUT design....... :)

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    left a message for Carey to make sure they are ok- my prayers with everyone in the area

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I emailed him right when I heard where it happened. Hopefully everything is fine.

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I live 20 miles west of Yucaipa. Believe me it was NO BIG DEAL!

The news like CNN and FOX and local L.A. stations totally exaggerated the whole story. I find it funny and yet pathetic the way they do that.

Although the quake was felt all over So Cal it was nothing to be freaked over.

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    We're all ok here. I think Mike's new 28 string Low Zb bass is what caused the whole thing...
    I wasn't even here at the shop. I was dropping off a friends Martin at a shop in the city for repair and didn't feel a thing...
    Thanks for all the concern though!!!!

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Didn't feel a thing? That's odd...we felt it in San Diego! :p

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Only because I was driving at the time. I'm sure if I was anywhere other than my car I'd have felt it...

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I live about 8 Miles from Yucaipa and it really wasn't bad at all. I doubt there will much damage reported.

I was in my car when it hit. Bounced me around a bit like someone was shaking the car. Other than that, no big deal.

The news will make it sound like Yucaipa just fell into the ocean.

9. I'm 45 minutes west from Yucaipa, wasn't really that bad.
    All my basses are still fine :D

10. I'm at UCLA and i felt it RIGHT after my final...
    I was sitting at my desk and my chair started feeling wobbly (my chair is pretty solid)... I thought it was a minor earthquake...
    Then I messaged my friend who was on a floor and she thought I was nuts.
    See...I didn't get much sleep the night before due to 2 finals back to back... and after she said she didn't feel it, I thought it was delirous :hyper:

Turns out i was right.

And it was no big deal at all. I felt more vibrations from my bassamp on 1 :bassist:

I think this was an aftershock from the one a few days earlier...(sunday)

11. Hi Carey,
    Glad everything's ok with you! I was going to email you but, we just talked on the phone and didn't want to bug you---yet!

The news in the Seattle area said that there had been no damage or injuries so I figured you and your family were ok. Glad to hear that's the case!

We had a small one up here a few months back. My TV sofa was doing a horizontal figure eight-gently. Wasn't sure if I was imagining it at first!
    I apparently needed the TV news to verify my own senses! Ah, modern life.

Back in 2001 (our big one) when I was still an elementary school teacher and had just left my kids at outdoor recess, our front office secretary looked up and said "It's an earthquake!". I hadn't felt anything yet and being so attuned to school bells for every drill I unthinkingly answered, "It can't be. There wasn't a bell!" :p

The next thing we all three of us were under office counter slip sliding on the ol' tectonic plate back and forth a good 10"s. My students were all fine. They DID have the most fun ever on the "Monkey Bars" though!

Hope it stays calm for you and yours, Carey

Jim T.

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I felt a really mild shake in Ventura. 5.3's aren't all that bad. :)

13. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Interesting... there was just a 7.0 off the coast of northern CA a couple days ago. There was even a tsunami warning for a little while.

14. Glad to hear you're doing OK, Carey!

15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You heard it from the man himself...
    Schroeder cabs could withstand an earthquake!

You sure it wasn't you just playing through a 310212?

16. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    Hey! that bass was a secret! :p

I had some clamps fall of the rack but that was about it. Good to hear there wasn't any damage Carey.

Peace,

Mike

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike and Carey, glad to hear y'all (and everyone else out there!) are ok out there...

...y'all need to move to NC, the weather is just as nice, and we don't have earthquakes!!! :)

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Imagine Mike, Carey, Keith, Mike Tobias, Vinney, Ken, Joe, Elrick dude (don't know his name), and import the Waal guy all to Greensboro, NC. Now that would be the new Bass Central!

They could all fight over who gets what local wood.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...speakin' of causing earthquakes! :bag:

;)