Nordstrand Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Jul 6, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Can anybody tell me something about Nordstrand basses?
    Comparing to other custom basses like MTD, Conklin, Acacia, KS and others..

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Welcome to TB!!!

There are actually a LOT of Nordstrand owners here. You will find a wealth of knowlege if you just plug in the word "Nordstrand" into the search function of the forums. You will also come across many posts by Carey as he is a member here too and is VERY helpfull. I doubt very much you will ever hear anything negative here about them, but the same can be said for Conklin ( at one time I think owning a Conlkin was required to be a supporting member :D you had to buy a double-neck to be a mod :bag: ) and Ken Smith (another active commercial member). MTD's have a very strong following here too and while Acacia is lesser known here than the others, I believe there are 2 or 3 members who own one ( and Brad's probably played one :cool: )

There are many more, search for Nordstrand, singlecut and look in all the "Custom Bass" titled threads.
  3. I can speak from first hand experience that Carey's work is some of the best you will find in the bass world today. His attention to detail is second to none. Nordstrand instruments are definitely in the league of Conklin, MTD etc... I don't see how you would be disappointed in one!
  4. I own several custom Conklins and still drool incessantly over the Nordstrands. Carey's work is nothing short of art. Just amazing. If I weren't a poor musician I'd certainly be all over one!

In the same breath, JP Basses and Cliff Bordwell's work is equally incredible, IMO.

All three of these luthiers integrate form and function into symbiotic masterpieces!!! ;)
  5. SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Thanks guys.
    And you think that I should forget about Bartolinis or Fralins and go for Nords pups?
  6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Not necessarily. In my personal experience, I consider Carey's pickups to be the best I've ever played. BUT, there are many who would like Barts just as much if not more. Or Fralins. Or Sadowskys. Or Aeros. Etc....

Unfortunately, it is very HARD to describe in words what a bass sounds like, much less the difference one pickup makes over another. Try the Nordies or Barts or Fralins. Then, if you are not satisfied, try a different set. (It helps if you hunt down used pickups as much as possible - unless the money is just falling out of your pockets.)

MY opinion - Nordies are sweet. Barts are also a great pickup.

Try em both, if you can.
  7. Carey is one of the few truly gifted craftsmen in the industry. His basses compare favorably with the very best available for any price.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Carey is a true artist. The attention to detail on his basses is remarkable. I love the SC bodyshape, but the NX is nice too.

Here is my SC5.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    After a Skjold (gotta represent the TX!), a Nordie is next on my list of custom basses.
  10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    As far as fit finish playability, I'd rate Carey at the top of the list. He makes a really mean bass.

As far as electronics, you need to do your homework. Going on hear say will get you just that. If you have a specifc tone in mind, you got to figure out what electronics will get you there as best as you can. The pups you mentioned all sound very different.

That said, my Nord dual coils rock. And Ray from R basses really like ALL of the Nord pups. So, that is a pretty hefty compliment to them!
  11. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Never played one but someday?