1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big Blademan now for sale!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ser Phalanges, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Guys!

Nordstrand Audio Releases the Big BladeMan Pickup

Nordstrand has decided to offer the Big Blademan MM pickup that they made for Justin Chancellor's new Warwick. They go for about 80 bucks for one. I'm thinking I must have one in my 'Ray. Justin Chancellor is my favorite bass player, and I just adore his tone.

What do you guys think about this?

5StringPocket likes this.
  2. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    I would love to hear some experience about these. I'm a Justin tonechaser no more but a pickup designed to fit him sounds intriguing. I'd especially like to hear from guys who aren't tool fans to see how they hold up without rose tinted glasses. They are based on jazz hotrods which also sounds cool, I am a fan of the jazz tone though i find it limiting and jazz basses aren't my thing anymore; a stingray however I've been wanting for years and I finally may get an OLP to put a pair of these in.

Also any idea what preamps would fit these?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The one thing I wouldn't recommend would be a MM style preamp. The BigBladeMan will have at least as much output as the BigMan which apparently overloads the Nordstrand Stingray style preamp.

Nordstrand has a variation of their 3-band preamp just for this pickup.

qersty and eastcoasteddie like this.
  4. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    OP, please note that the cost of the pup is about twice of what you noted.

Aside from that, I have a 5 string version of the Bigman. For my tastes, found to be too "bass" heavy, with no real character of it's own. I had it installed in a bass in the MM Stingray position. I'm imagining the blade version will sound similar, so the suggested addition of a preamp will be helpful. I just won't be going there.