SOLD Nordstrand Big Blades set (P2 size)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by 4StringTheorist, Jun 16, 2017.

1. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Price:
    $145
    For sale, a set of Nordstrand Big Blade 5 in the P2 form factor.

This set was a part of the earliest run of this pickup in early 2016, before the "Clean & Clear" and "Warm & Wooly" distinction on the Nordstrand blades came about. Based on the descriptions, I'd peg this set in the Clean and Clear category. Punchy and aggressive!

Because of the blade nature of the pickup, these work for any string count and spacing, with the max spacing being a 5 string at 19mm equivalent. There's an "N" and a "B" stamped into the black coil bobbin material on the back of each pickup to identify the neck pickup and bridge pickup. Hard to get that to show up on a cellphone photo.

I'm the original owner and these have seen one gig and modest at home playing in a smoke-free home. They've got plenty of lead left on them: I estimate I've snipped off less than a half inch of wire from factory new. Black pickup screws included.

They'll ship in the original box (which will be inside yet another box of course)

Price includes shipping to the lower 48 USA

BigBlade01s.jpg BigBlade02s.jpg BigBlade03s.jpg BigBlade04s.jpg

2. Hi there! The covers can be removed? I have a bass with gorgeous wood pickup covers but I'd be glad to try these pickups.

3. 4StringTheorist

You'd have to email Nordstrand to be sure. They're always prompt and informative with customer questions I've found.

As far as I can answer without their expert guidance, from the looks of it, what's holding the pickups in the cover is a few beads of hot glue. Should be fairly easy to dislodge them and remove them. The radiused blade is going to protrude above the coil bobbins, so be aware of that if you're going to try and put these in covers that don't have the central opening for the blade to protrude through.

4. 4StringTheorist

A pair of shims on either side of the blade with a thickness that matches the blade protrusion above the coil should do it.

5. 4StringTheorist

A few pics of some details: The Nordstrand logo on the front and the embossed (N)eck/(B)ridge identifier on the back as discussed above. 20170627_185123.jpg 20170627_185141.jpg

praxedes likes this.
  6. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Hmm, Im curious to see if these would work on a narrow 6 string with P2 size PUPs (16.5mm spacing/ 82.5mm max). Could you post the sensing area and rail dimensions (A, B, and Gap) of both pups?
    Many thanks!
    BigBlade02s.jpg

4StringTheorist likes this.
  7. 4StringTheorist

There actually isn't a gap. It's one continuous blade. The surface of the blade is notched to allow those bits of pickup shell plastic across so that the pickup shell has structural integrity. You can check out Carey Nordstrand's YouTube vids and website about it.

The upshot of this is that as long as your strings all fit over the blade, you're good for any number and spacing of strings.

So B and Gap aren't relevant for measuring the pickup. :)

A for this pickup is 3.25 inches on the nose.

[Edit: Added proper measurement as discussed further down thread.]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    chapito likes this.
  8. Karl Kaminski

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Wow, very interesting! But dang too short for this bass (neck pup spacing is 3" on center, but the bridge pup spacing would put the center of the end strings "just outside" the blade).

Thanks for info. GLWS

4StringTheorist likes this.
  9. 4StringTheorist

No problem! Good luck on your pickup quest!

10. 4StringTheorist

Turns out I neglected to measure both pickups! The bridge pickup blade is 3 and one quarter (3.25) inches!

chapito likes this.
  11. Karl Kaminski

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    I wish I could grab them, my spacing (to the outside of the strings) Bridge is 3.18" and Neck is 3.04". Ive never pushed a pup to the ends of its sensing area, i can only guess possible dropout or loss of signal. is the visible end of the rail, the "real" end of the rail? or does it continue under the cover. (Maybe an allen wrench to "feel" your way over the end or a small compass to point out the end) Sorry, just so curious now if the sensing area extends beyond the visible poll/rail.:p

12. 4StringTheorist

Alright. I have turned on all the lights and grabbed a better measuring instrument and triple checked myself. I was applying a tape measure incorrectly the first time when I measured the neck pickup. Both the neck and bridge pickup have the blades exposed a full 3.25" on the pickup face. I wouldn't count on them extending too much further underneath the pickup cover, but it sounds like they'll fully cover your spacing.