No longer available Nordstrand Big Single Alnico 3 G&L Bass Pickups and preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Matt R, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Price:
    Here we have a used set of Nordstrand Big Single pickups, custom made for G&L L2000 pickup routes. These are called "raw" pickups without covers that will mount right into the cavity. They have Alnico 3 magnets and full length leads.

Included is a G&L Rev 1.0 preamp/harness that has been modified to allow Fender S-1 type switching between the 2 pickups. When in parelel the two pickups are wired like a jazz bass, a switch allows the two pickups to be combined or used individally. When in series the two pickups are wired together like a large P bass pickup, like the Fender S-1 switch the Bridge pickup will be silent when in the series mode. My tech did the mod, installation and removal of the pickups and preamp harness when I sold the bass. I do mot have a wiring diagram and recommend having someone with diagram, soldering and electronics experience for installing these items.

Feel free to contact me via PM with any questions or trade offers.

Free shipping to COMUS.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    SO..... I am a bit confused. Are the controls drop in replacements for an L2K preamp too?

What do the controls do?

3. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Yes. It is a factory stock G&L L L2000 preamp, removed from my old L2000. It is exactly the same tone controls, passive/active/active treble boost switch, pickup select switch with the difference being the stock series /parallel switch has the Fender S-1 Jazz bass mod.....
    When in parelel the two pickups are wired like a jazz bass, the pickup select switch allows the two pickups to be combined or used individally. When in series the two pickups are wired together like a large P bass pickup, like the Fender S-1 switch the Bridge pickup will be silent when in the series mode.

Thank you for your question. Hoping that this explaiation is helpful.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks @Matt R that does help but I have two additional questions:

1) Is the stock series/parallel switch still a two way switch?
    2) With series mode engaged, how is the bridge pickup silent if the two pickups are "wired together like a large P bass pickup"? I guess I am a little confused about which coils are actually being engaged in each configuration...

5. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    (A)The bridge pickup is silent when solo'd when the switch is selected to series. I don't know why? It's a characteristic of S-1 switching between 2 single coil pickups? Anyone want to jump in and explain? Here's an example of some of the sound veriations available on a Fender J bass with S-1 switching.......

Thanks again for your question.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022