Nordstrand Big Singles / SR 1300 Chorus sound ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flippyfloop, Oct 25, 2017.

1. flippyfloop

flippyfloop

Feb 19, 2009
    I bought a second hand Ibanez SR 1300 recently as a backup & I really like it. Problem I’ve found recently is that the pickups create a chorus type sound, especially in the upper register.

Did a little bit of research and turns out that the magnets in these pickups are strong and cause this issue if set high. I’ve had to lower the pickup height down a lot to get rid of this issue.

So, my personal issue now is that I like my pickups set pretty high so I can feel them under my fingers when I play and now I can’t do this. Any solution or should I consider getting different pickups ?

Aguilar DCB’s looks possible as they can be set hight and are flat, like a ramp. Hope I can find a solution without spending more cash ?

Cheers.

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I had that chorusing effect with my DCBs at about the same height as with my Nordstrand Big Blades.

If you dig the under the fingers feel, perhaps get a ramp made? That option is cheaper than new pickups, too!

3. flippyfloop

flippyfloop

Feb 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.
    So, any pickups that can be set high without the chorus effect ? I've always has the feel of a pickup under my fingers & 25+ years of this had made it feel horrible without.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm right there with you. I recently got a bass with really hot pickups....one of which is a Nordy. I had to slam them way down to get rid of the chorus. It also took me a while to get used to the lowered P bass pickup not being as steady of an anchor under my thumb.

I'm with the other's. Try a ramp. I'm having mine made as we speak.

5. Before replacing pickups, make sure that your string is not twisted. Fully loosen any string that is chorusing and re-tighten paying attention that the ball doesn't twist. I have had this effect on strings with a tapered end when the taper ends over the pickup. Big Singles are hot, but I don't think they are hot enough to pull on the strings unless really close. I think as long as you are 1/8"+ away, you should be ok.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021