1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Big Singles?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by specs, Sep 4, 2008.

1. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    Hello all, hope everyone is ok.

I'll be ordering a 5-string Sadowsky in the near coming months,

I know you can have there soapbars fitted, but doe's anyone here have any info or soundclips etc. about these pickups? Both Soapbars and the Nordstrands. :confused:

Thanks.
    :)

2. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    No body owns them?

3. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I have no soundclips or real info for you, but I do have 2 sadowskys with Big Singles. I think they sound great. Ok, what I meant was they sound GREAT!
    What's not to like about a big honkin' overwound single coil Jazz pickup?!
    I bought my 5 string from brother Bikeplate here on the forum, and liked it so much that within 2 weeks bought it's 4 string equivalent.

If you do a search in the "pickup and electronics" forum here you'll find some info - I think I started a thread a while ago asking about them.

FWIW both mine have them in the standard jazz positions, but I've played a NYC fretless with BSs in the Modern position and it was a killer.

these are mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i own a bass with the big singles and OH boy, those things are sweet, and the best thing is that the low B is very defined and in your face..

5. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    Thanks guys, :) Thank you very much.
    Oh mate....i'm in for a treat!!

6. I'll give you a slightly different take. I owned a bass for a short while with the Big Singles and have played a number of others. They are nice sounding pickups, but they DO NOT sound like a 'big Jazz pickup'. They are fat, warm, mid punchy and articulate. They sound like a soapbar humbucking pickup with more hum to me.

If you are considering the 'Big' pickups, I would HIGHLY recommend the Big Splits. In my A/Bing, they were so close to the same sound as to be interchangable. And, one of the cool things about the 'Big' pickups is that they are fat and mid punchy enough to really sound VERY good with the bridge pickup solo'd (which is only really doable with the Big Splits).

So, if you want to make a J Bass or Sadowsky J model sound fatter and smoother, the Big Splits would be a great option.

However, if you want a snarly, punchy, grindy, aggressive tone, I MUCH prefer the Sadowsky single coils (based on the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, as far as I know). Just fantastic single coil pickups that actually sound like single coil J pickups.

And, if you are considering the 'Modern' Sadowsky, the Sadowsky soapbars are hard to beat... punchy, aggressive, burpy and fat (and quiet!).

IMO

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wasn't crazy about the Sadowsky 24 Fret 5 (with both pickups closer to the bridge) that had the Nordstrand Big Singles. To me, the bass sounded better with the Sadowsky Soaps (even better with EMG40J's but let's not open that can of worms. ;))

With the pickups in the J positions, like the 2 basses that cripula owns, I think the Big Singles are awesome.

IMO, the basses I've played/owned that have the Big Singles in J locations sound like a J bass. :) :bassist:

8. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    I got them in my six'er, but I'm still on the fence as to whether I like them or not...:meh:

9. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    I'm taking this all down mates, I'll make my choice when it comes to the time.
    Thank you all once again

10. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    I am going towards the 'Modern' 24fret one, I made my mind up on that one.

The music I play is metal and hard rock, so I think those soapbars might just be the key.

11. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I have Big Singles in a jazz in the jazz pickup positions (centered from the original pickups).

To me they have a single passive (since mine is) sound.
    Slightly different from a a tradtional J bass to my ear but probaly not as much as Kjung ear.

I do like them but I would be apprehensive if they where anything other then the traditional position since they are kind of bright (to me IMHO) :bag: