1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Big Split - Pre-Amp Required

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by siin82, Sep 27, 2019.

1. siin82

siin82

Jul 10, 2019
    I'm starting my first build in a couple of weeks and was planning on using Big Splits. I wasn't planning on adding a pre-amp.

You think I'll be fine without one?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

IME with Big-Singles, you don't need a pre-amp. My Premium Soundgear has the same amount of output with or w/o the pre-amp engaged, when the EQ is set flat.
    In fact, I use mine w/o the pre-amp engaged 99.5% of the time.

3. siin82

siin82

Jul 10, 2019
    You think the same applies to Big Splits? I'd rather not add a pre-amp just to make the wiring a bit simpler.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    All the Nordstrand's pickups (with very few exceptions) are design to work as standard passive. This means that, at least, you'll have the same output as the world standard (jazz, P, MM etc).
    The "big" line has, if anything more output than average :)

So, yes, the BSp are actually one of my favorite to use either passive and/or with active pre!

Killed_by_Death and xaosbass like this.
  5. siin82

siin82

Jul 10, 2019
    Thanks!!!

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, good split-coils are still as loud as true single coils. it's the stack-type that will be a bit quieter and might benefit more from some preamp boost.

xaosbass likes this.
  7. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Big Splits are probably the most potent pickups I’ve ever used, the output is huge. They definitely don’t need a preamp to be heard in the mix.

I had them in a Lakland 55-01 and in passive mode, they were fantastic. I actually liked them better passive than with the lame preamp it had in it.

That said, I currently have them in a bass with a Status 3 band preamp and the ability to shape their sound more is absolutely amazing.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021