Nordstrand Big Splits Spacing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Thinking about ordering a set of these. My the spacing at the bridge on my bass is .66" at the bridge, which is 16.76mm. My string spacing options would then be either 16.5mm or 17mm, which would be the correct spacing I should buy?

2. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    North Virginia
    If you contact them they will make the pickups for Spector specifications ;-)

3. len13

len13

Jan 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Since your spacing will begin to decrease as you move away from the bridge towards the neck, you could measure the spacing at the pickup(s) location and see if that helps to determine what will work best.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    contact the shop!

5. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Last I heard, big splits can only go down to 17.5mm spacing, due to the gap they need for the "split".

For tighter string spacing, you will have to go with a fat stack or dual coil.

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    On the Nordstrand website when you go to buy, you can pay $10 more for non-standard string spacing. The lowest they allow you to select is 16.5

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Thanks, will do!

8. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    North Virginia
    Well, I have I think 17mm Big Splits in my Spector Rebop 5 with 0.66 String spacing and they align almost perfectly:

sKOisuHO4NLKbWmIefY3FMYYNPIJMCEEpuQc9ViLnR2XIRUiX6QrjAFtWO1BbjpNaYTdYZ6dCm4QinKd7Ss=w551-h979-no.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Bob Clayton likes this.
  9. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    How do you like em? Still have the Spector TonePump?

10. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    oh cool! I swear Carey posted somewhere around here (some time ago) that the big splits had a spacing limitation---due to the split. Seems they figured a way around that!

11. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Yup, they can do practically anything. I once owned an Roscoe SKB with pickups routed approx .375 off center, and after giving Nords explicit dimensions of where the strings were in relation to the pickups, they made me a perfect pair of their DCs. The peeps at Nords are bada$$. And they actually deliver pickups you order.

12. 8_finger

8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    North Virginia
    My Rebop came with Aguilar OBP1, but I replaced it immediately because I turn down treble most of the time and OBP1 doesn't do that.
    Currently it sports Audere Classic 4 band preamp.

Big splits are awesome, they can still do modern and aggressive Spector sound if needed, but they can also do more vintage sound if you roll off the treble on preamp. Very versatile pickups. They are closer to P/super J sound, if you are looking for that, they are the way to go.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021