1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand DC's: Series or Parallel @bridge to match with a P@neck?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowGrowl, Jun 18, 2014.

1. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Hi!
    I've read as much as I could about Nordstrand Dual coils and their wirings and winding options. Still hasn't figured this out.

Series wound DC's are designed not to have that boost in volume as the parallel ones have when you put them in series. But If i want to match a NP5 in the neck position with a dual coil in the bridge position, what version of the DC should I chose?

NP5's would have a comparable output with parallel DC wired in series while series wound DC's would have a comparable output with any other single or parallel wired humbucker in the neck position? :help:

What I want for that bridge pickup is growly mids in humbucking mode. Using just one coil is a second good thing to have but only if the tone is still growly and powerfull and not 'anemic' as some people here have described the series wound DC's in single coil mode.

Thank you very much for your help!!! :thumbsup:
    Ray

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    shoot carey an email. hed know best!

3. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Thanks Narud, I'll do.

4. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Central Florida
    I've used both the DCs and Big Splits, and if you want growly, the Big Splits do it much better IMHO (the DC's didn't last two weeks), but like Narud stated, contact Carey

5. Please post Carey's response and your results. I've been pondering this very thing for awhile, albeit with a different P pickup. So far, I've been too timid to bite the bullet.

6. I've spent a lot of time thinking about doing a mod exactly like the OP wants to do. On my Valenti bass, I have an NP5 paired with NJ5S bridge pickup in the '70's position. It sounds great with the P soloed, it sounds good with them blended, it sounds anemic with the J soloed. I'd also like cutting mids with a lot of balls similar to the double J pickups on Fender's Blacktop P or their Modern Player Jazz bass. So, I'm also very curious to hear what Carey has to say.....

7. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Hi! We have a response from the experts:

Hi Ray,

A "series" wind Dual Coil wired in series will have a similar volume as a "parallel" wind Dual Coil wired in parallel, both of which are similar in volume to an NP5. I think that the DC-series is a good match to the NP5 as it is a throaty sounding pickup, and that sounds like what you are going for.

That being said, if you run a "series" wind Dual Coil in single or parallel, the output will be a bit quiet, and won't keep up with the NP5. If you plan on doing any switching with a Dual Coil, I would recommend the "parallel" wind instead. Dealing with a volume boost in series is easier than a volume drop in parallel or single.

And finally, one of the shop favorite combinations here is the NP5 and Big Split. Stew has that configuration in a fretless bass of his, and we've seen it a few times in other basses, it is a great combination! Very growly and beefy sounding, and makes a good complement to the NP5.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Cheers,
    Adrian

Adrian Smith / adrian@nordstrandpickups.com

maurilio likes this.
  8. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for posting this Adrian. I just put in an order for a PJ5 with the NP5 and Big Split, hoping it would be a good complement to the NP5 and provide a meatier bridge tone. It's nice to get confirmation that this pairing should deliver the goods.

maurilio likes this.