1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Dual Coil issues!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyMan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Hey Folks, I Have a Custom Bass with Dual Coils Nordys in it, and everything is fine except that the picukps are too low in relation to strings, about 4.5 mm, and although the bass sounds fine, the output is some kind weak.

So obviously i proceeded to higher the pickups, the tone has changed beautifully, Round and punchy as desired, BUT now i have ridiculous overtones happening when playing above 12 fret, i guess the magnets have too much pulling force, (Don't know how to call it) so i have 2 issues here:

1- I want a better output from my bass

2- Also Want to install a ramp that has the same level as the pickups (i hope i can reach 2 mm)

There's something i can do? any suggestions? or i can't figth with pickup's nature?? :(

Thanks

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The pickups are too close to the strings. Lower them a little at a time until that goes away.

This is one of the problems with having too many alnico rod magnets under the strings.

3. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Hey bro, i have done that, and the only way to make overtones go away is lower the pickup to 4.5mm :(

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    4.5mm pressing down the strings at the last fret (neck, bridge or both)?
    I usually press down the strings a the last fret and set the bridge at ~1/8" and the neck one a little more and than I check for volume balance between both.
    BTW, do you have the parallel or series set?

M

5. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Maurilio, my pickups are Series, so there's nothing i can do?

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    in my experience the DC series have a decent output. My favorite are the DC parallel and they have never felt like they were missing output even if installed "that" far away from the strings….
    What preamp are you using with them?

M

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    We are in the process of testing new DC with alnico IV. They sound VERY good and they can be set closer to the strings than the alnico V….

8. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Everyone reading this thread... Maurilio is the freaking MAN!!! His setups are the best in the known world. Send your repairs, setup needs, installs, whatever, to him.

9. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :oops:

Too good, thank you!

How's AZ treating you?

M