1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Dual Coil parallel wound resistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I've got a set of 4 string Nordstrand Dual Coils that I'm pretty sure are parallel wound, but I want to verify that before I put them up for sale. The neck pickup coils are each 6.08k and the bridge pickup coils are each 6.72K. That sound right for their parallel wound pickups?

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

The folks at Nordstrand are prompt about emails. An answer from them is guaranteed to be correct, unlike any replies you get here.

3. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yeah, but they're closed until Monday and in the mean time, I thought that someone here might know. If I haven't got an answer by Monday that'll be the obvious solution.

4. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    You have these PUs?
    Dual Coil 4
    They are not (link picture) wired series or parallel. You must connect the wires ( red-green-white etc.) correctly to get series or parallel connection. Then you get: series ca. 13,4 kΩ or parallel ca. 3,4 kΩ.
    Pickup Wiring Diagrams and Schematics

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    I don’t have the actual numbers here, but by logic those are wound for series. In parallel they have way too low DC.
    (Isn’t there any marks on the bottom fibers?)

4StringTheorist likes this.
  6. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

And indeed you've got an answer there from the great and awesome Mo! :bassist:

7. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Just the authority I was hoping for!

Thanks! I'll list them as serial wound. I'm glad I asked because when I bought them a couple years ago they were sold to me as parallel wound. The only marks on the bottom are a penciled "B" on each coil of what I assume is the bridge pickup.

8. They're 4-wire, so they can be either:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1941/7837/files/Dual-Coil-Diagram.pdf

If red & white are connected, they're in series.

They're not "wound" to be series or parallel, that's configured by how the wires are connected.
    Even a 3-wire humbucker can be wired in series or parallel.

add: generally speaking, which apparently isn't the case with Nordstrand, who specifically wind them for primary operation as one or the other...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    okabass likes this.
  9. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    yes and no!

Technically you are right, they can be wired both ways, but:

(extract from nordstrand website)

The Dual Coil is top shelf sonic kinesis that leaves its player in a state of wonder as they begin to mold the dynamic spectrum of tone available from this pickup's resonant malleability. The versatility of this pickup lies in the player's choice of its two different wind optimizations: specially programmed parallel or series operations. The reason for this choice stems from the unfortunate phenomenon of a pickup made to sound good in parallel often sounding too hot and dark when wired in series. A Dual Coil wired in parallel with our specially designed wind will provide a glistening high end, a submerged, trenching low end, and a crisp and clean midrange. The parallel model is usually a wiser choice for split-able installation, as its gain loss will not be diminished — which is often associated with its sister in series. Our higher output series model will provide a driving, combustable midrange that subdues the timbre of its high end without entirely dismantling any mandatory complementation within its tonal spectrum.

The actual full page:
    Dual Coil 4

Mo

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. Ah yeah, I forgot that Nordstrand winds them differently & I definitely noticed it on their options before.
    Anyway, if the red & white are connected, it was built for series operation.

I'm starting to wonder why they provide a diagram for series/parallel operation if they intend on winding them specifically for one or the other :D

11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Because lots of players are tweakers, like me!!!
    and because the series/parallel wiring diagrams are good for any type of dualcoils!

Steve-Mo likes this.
  12. Yeah I know, people are going to do it, which is why I included the smiley...
    any type of dual coils with the same colors as S.D.

maurilio likes this.
  13. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    If N. wind series and parallel PU different, I think they should mark that on PU. Simply like S or P.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    they do now. The op might have a early version

okabass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yep, they were early ones and now have a new home in Florida. The bass they were in (CIJ fretless J) now has a Power Blade and a Big Blade and sounds great. Nothing bad about the DCs, but they were too polite for that particular bass. It had always been kind of dull sounding, but the PJ Blade setup has the touch of aggro nasty that it needs to come to life.

okabass likes this.
  16. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Nice.