Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Series/Parallel

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Series/Single Coil

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Parallel/Single Coil

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    for people that are either familiar with the pickups and/or own then, how do you have them wired? Trying to see what the best combination would be, if I used a 2 way switch.

I was just curious as to the benefits and differences of the various wiring choices.

-edit-

assume that these pickups are wound like 2 jazz pickups under 1 cover. If that were the case, would series/single coil make the most sense?

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Definetly parallel / single coil.
    Serial connection has too much of a volume difference to be practical (unless you have some active circuitry to compensate for that).

I don't have Nordstrand dual coils, but I do have BassCulture dual coils. And here is how I wired them, using one three-way rotary switch.
    Position one: outer single coils
    Position two: dual coils
    Position three: inner single coils
    This way, all positions are hum canceling (unless you solo one pickup while in single coil mode).
    Works very well!

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Elros,

The Nordstrands aren't side by side coils like a traditional humbucker. They are inline coils that look (when covered) like a single coil. One coil for the E and A, the other coil for the D and G.

I don't have them, so I can't offer advice about series/parallel. I'm expecting some Sadowskys in the mail today or tomorrow that have the same coil layout, and I'll post my opinion of them in series/parallel when I have one, if that helps (should be similar results to the Nordstrands).

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

actually, they are side by side coils like a humbucker. I'm not talking about the NJ4SE humbucker/jazz pickup. I'm talking about the one that looks like an Aero/Fodera pickup. Thanks anyway

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Oh. Damn.

Nevermind.

:meh:

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    no problem

the one's you are talking about are the kind I might put into my jazz bass

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I figured - otherwise single-coil mode wouldn't be a very good idea. ;)

I used to have mine connected with a parallel / serial switch, and it wasn't all that useable.... I mean, serial mode sounds fine - very midrangey and cut-through sound, but the 50% (approx.) increase in volume made it impractical; and I never used a mixed setting with one pickup in series and the other in parallel...

But the parallel / single coil gives a very nice (albeit subtle) variation in sound. Listen to the sound samples for an example. (I am assuming that the Nordstrand pickups will have some of the same sound qualities as mine, but I'm sure they are a bit different as well.)
    If the Nordstrands are very narrow pickups, though, it may not have such a big effect to choose between the outer and inner coils, as they are closer together. With mine, it is almost like having four single-coil pickups.
    ... They do look like monster pickups, though. :)

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i have them wired parallel / single coil in my Nordstrand. sounds great & very usable.

i do have another bass (different PUs though) and i agree, the series/parallel thing is not very practical for live applications because of the difference in volume.

you can however built a onboard preamp that allows for series/parallel delivering the same output to the amp rig.

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sheepdog,
    I just sent you a PM with a few thoughts. ;)