1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand dual coil questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassPuzzler, May 11, 2011.

1. BassPuzzler

BassPuzzler

Mar 29, 2011
    Nordstrand makes dual coil pickups, which you can read about here. I have a couple of noob questions about them.

It doesn't specifically say whether they are active or passive, but I'm assuming the convention is that if it doesn't specifically say it's active, then it's not?

It refers to split-able installation. Does this mean that it can be wired so that you can turn off one half of the humbucker, for that single-coil sound?

Finally, they say that parallel pickups are better for split-able installation, because then you don't see a loss in gain when you switch to single coil. Wouldn't you see an increase in gain when switching from parallel? Seems to me that the problem would exist either way. Also, is this a big deal? I'd like to be able to switch between series and single coil. Will there be a noticeable, problematic gain loss if I do this?

Thanks!

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Definitely passive.

Yes SC is an option.

Parallel is usually not as hot, so SC won't be way quieter.

Series to SC will be quieter in SC mode but with a Nordstrand 2 band pre you can boost the SC level to match the series passive setting.

3. DanScott

DanScott

Nov 28, 2007
    Kent, wa
    I'm not sure which version I have, took it in on trade, but put it in the bridge position of a USA Pbass, and it is the best sounding pickup I've ever heard, nasty nasty nasty..

4. BassPuzzler

BassPuzzler

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses!

So, if I decide to go with a NP5 neck p-up and a dual coil bridge p-up, can I wire it so that I have a two way switch for the dual coil (SC and series), a volume knob for each p-up, and a master tone knob?

What pots would I use? 500k for all? What capacitor? 0.1 uF?

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Yes to the 1st question. Lineman6 or Maurillio will be along shortly with more details.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    You can use which ever you like (it a personal choice).
    We use 250K and .47 cap

The only concern is that in SC you'll never have humcanceling with the NP pup....

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Parallel-SC has no noticeable difference in gain (definitely there is between series and SC and Par).

Not sure how you would go about compensating the difference in gain (from series/SC) with the pre...(?)

8. Very few pickups on the market are active. I don't believe Nordstrand has any active offerings, but if they do, I know the DCs are passive.

Series, parallel, north coil or south coil configurations are possible with four conductor wiring.

Usually switching from series to single coil does result in a volume difference. Series more-or-less adds the pickups together. If you are worried about volume differences, you may want to look into a volume trimmer pot to attentuate the series volume, though this may mess with the tone a bit.

Sure.

That's personal preference. 500ks are a little bit hotter and brighter than 250ks, but the difference is subtle.

0.1uF sounds a bit high for my taste, but if you like a very dark sound, try it.

The standard value for passive basses is 0.047uF. Higher values have a lower frequency cutoff point, lower values have a higher frequency cutoff point.

Are you sure? 0.47 (microFarads, I'm assuming.) would sound VERY dark on a bass. The appropriate value is 0.047uF, ten times less.

9. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    We don't have active pups.
    typo: .047