nordstrand dual coils...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Marat, May 8, 2005.

1. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    hello I am in the planning stages of putting together a new bass. All of the basses that I currently have are equipped with single coil j pickups. I wanted something different and was curious about the nordtrand dual coils. how would these differ from J pickups that i am familiar with? thanks in advance...

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Exactly how they differ will depend on how your Dual Coils are wired. In general, humbucking style bass pickups wired in parallel will generally sound like they have more treble and more bass with slithly less mids...the "smiley face" EQ. It isn't necessarily that this wiring schematic results in a mid-shy pickup, but mids will probalby be de-emphasized and will not be as prevalent to the ear relative to the boost in high end and low end. To the contrary, wiring your DCs in series will tend to warm things up a bit and will result in a slightly punchier tone to do an increase in mids. For comparison purposes, slappers tend to prefer the naturally EQ curve of a parallel wiring scheme. Whiel series/parallel are the two preferred options, keep in mind that you can also wire a dual coil in single coil mode as well, so you can always access that vintage, traditional tone.

As for the type of tone you're used to with the single coils that you have in your existing basses, it's hard to make a detailed comparison since we don't know if the jazz style pickups are a true single coil, a split coil jazz, stacked coil, etc. But, a DC pickup wired in series will probalby give you a bit more punch and more mids that you're used to, and in general....a DC wired in series will give you a more "hi-fi" sound that you probalby get with your single coils, with an emphasis on more lows and highs. :)
  3. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    The pickups I currently have in my basses are lindy fralin 5 string single coil jazz pickups. I love the way they sound I woud just like to have a different flavor since all three of my lakland Jazz basses have them. Just out of curriosity is a traditional jazz wired in parrallel or series? thanks again...

4. AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006

I currently have a DL pickup in my bass (like the MM but 117mm long).
    I'm looking for a replacement and I'm caught between Bartolini and Nordstrand.

Bartolini does not make the DL model anymore but an MV will do (some routing required). (MV5CBC?, MV5C?)

Nordtrand seems to have the size I need but I'm not shure which one I should get (MM5.2?, MM5.3?, MM5.4?)

So far, I'm going for the Aguilar OSB-3 preamp.

Can anyone help me with my new setup? Anything, please.
    I have a great band in which I play a lot like Incubus-like bass lines at some points.....and some more funky Red-Hot-like parts at other.

I have to do all this by internet (I'm in Chile) so you're my only refference.

Anyone who has sound clips or any other info on these pickups, please mail me at