Nordstrand Experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tapp, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Since there's been some talk about Nordstrand basses I will give my recent experience with Carey Nordstrand. I have a '74 Jazz that is original as far as I know when I bought it several years ago. The only thing was that the frets were flat and no room for a redress. I spoke with Carey about a refret job. Carey was very easy to talk to about this bass since I had concerns about doing "too much" to the bass and it losing it's value due to "extras" that some people might like to add. ie. I wanted the instrument to be functional with minimal change.

I just got the bass back and one word: WOW!! Incredible attention to detail folks! As you may know '70's Fender Jazz's with bound maple boards are not the easiest to work with but Carey did an incredible job without messing up the "originality" of the instument. The bass plays so much better and looks great!

And for those of you who have been told that all 70's CBS Fenders are junk, Carey personally told me that my '74 was the straightest and most functional Fender neck he's seen. There are good ones (and bad ones of course) out there.

Just wanted to give my .02.

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like you found out what other TBers have known for a while. Not only does Carey make amazing basses, but he's also a great guy to boot! :D Glad to hear that your bass is back in tip-top shape. Now it's time to start saving for a NJ Deluxe!!! ;) :D
  3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Carey set up a few of my basses a while back, a Cote Continuum and an Elrick GS 5. He put them back into perfect playing condition, probably even better than their original set ups. He was very accomodating to my schedule, very easy to talk to, and he let me play several of his finished basses (re: works of art). Definitely an extremely talented luthier, and also a very nice guy.