Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand Jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Hi Tb'ers,

I have been reading about that Carey Nordstand will make some J-style basses. Anyone knows something about that?
    Like pics and prices?
    If they will be like his amazing basses they are worth to check!

-Christian

2. Hi Christian,

Check out Nordstrand forums, you can find pics and a lot of infos about them!
    I'm not sure that Carey Nodstrand will build them....
    Got to get infos!

Vince

3. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    C, that sounds interesting.. Keep me posted.. :smug:

4. Thanks,

Just found out that you need log in to see pictures :eek:

-Christian

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    We should have some photos of completed basses relatively soon. As for more info, we should have a dedicated web page up through Carey's site soon, but I would also be more than happy to provide you with any information you might have with respect to pricing, options, etc. All of that information has been ironed out....I just can't post it in this message. ;)

Some brief comments about the basses...they will all be 100% made in the U.S. at Carey's shop in California. Carey is hand-selecting the wood that will be used so that we can offer bodies with the best tap tones and the best weights (lightweight swamp ash and alder bodies will be offered). Carey will also be finishing all of the necks at his shop, which also includes cutting all of the nuts, installing all of the frets, and doing all of the fretwork himself. The basses will all feature your choice of Nordstrand pickups and Hipshot hardware and will be available in the usual array of transparent, solid, and metallic colors. The 4-string will be 34" scale and the 5-string will be 34 1/2" scale, and fretless basses with & w/out lines are also available. A Nordstrand preamp is also in the works, and all basses will also come with a passive tone control.

That's just a rough introduction, but it should give you and other Nordstrand fans an indication of what the project is all about since there is so little info available at the moment. I hope that helps you with your questions. :)

6. Thanks a lot! :)

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    if Carey is involved, it will be a top notch bass. if you want a Fender, get a Fender- sad that someone had to bash or make a negative comment...

oh, and Vince.. i think I know what fretless you REALLY want! :)

8. Oh yeah Adrian, sad sad sad....
    You know the fretless??? no....:D
    But right now, I'm not sure I will get it, I have a bad feeling....

Vince

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Adrian, We need to talk! :) PM or e-mail me.
    Thanks, Dan

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Nordstrand Jazz 5? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Must find way. [in half asleep poor college student tone]

11. Thanks for the info!
    You should have a PM.

-Christian

12. :rollno: Wow...lot's of anger there.... this is a gear thread about someone interested in a particular bass... no need to bash. I have a feeling Jaco, Jamerson and Dunn (who is now playing a Lakland type P-Bass by the way :eek: ) would probably say... cool, let me check them out :bassist:

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Especially when you consider that the reason why those great bass players chose Fender basses 40+ years ago might just be due to the fact that Fender basses were predominatly the ONLY choice with respect to quality and price. Even if they had been interested in something else, how many other choices were really available to pro musicians? Very few.

I think that I can solve your problem for you 33degrees.....just don't ever buy a Nordstrand.....ever. Better yet, don't even play one. There's absolutely no risk to unreasonably tempt yourself. :D That way you won't get in the way of the large number of people who actually would like to own and play one. ;)

14. Zing!!!
    I was going to say it...too slow!

15. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Lol, I wonder what that felt like :D

16. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm so excited that Nordstrand is planning on making a j-bass.

:hyper:

Are you guys keeping the same headstock?
    I've just pictured this on a j-bass i'd want ...

[​IMG]

keep us posted!

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Guys....what is your opinion of the Jazz replacement pickups offered by Nordstrand? I have an MIA Jazz Bass V (SCN pickups) and there really is no reason to replacement my perfectly good SCN pickups but I've been flirting with the idea of single coils with a series parallel switch. I know Carey makes some that are a direct fit with the MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe IV or V. Anyone care to describe the tone?

Thanks!
    -Bazz-

18. PM Wilbyman if he doesn't respond to this thread in a while. I think he is very familiar with the Nordstand J Bass pickups, and thinks very highly of them.

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Will do.
    thx,
    bazz

20. Hmm I was hoping for a more regular J-like headstock myself.. with a little Nordstrand twist to it ofcourse.

Anyway, the first pics are going to cause serious gas, I'm sure.

R.