Nordstrand jazz question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by birminghambass, Mar 24, 2014.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have NJ4s in a jazz, love them! I just got another bass, the seller said they whad NJ4s also. They sound AMAZING but slightly different and they even look different than the other set of NJ4s. The new ones have grey bottoms and the poles are radiused to the fretboard, could these just be the "70s wind" version or did Carey change the look at some point. Thanks.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    pictures..?

if staggered pp could be nj4sv/se (split humcan)

3. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It's definitely single coil.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    nj4 are also built for a 7.25" radius (these have staggered pp)
    but if they sound diffrent that's something else….

again, pictures would help...

5. man i think all of careys pickups ive ever had have had gray flatwork dating back at least 8 years.

6. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Ok these are indeed NJ4s. They are from his early batches, my other set is from last year. The tonal differences might be due to other factors, one jazz is light weight and has a maple neck, the other is heavier and rosewood.

7. yeah and Carey does do some custom wounds which may account for the difference.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021