1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand MM 4.2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by m00t, Mar 31, 2006.

1. m00t

m00t

Apr 5, 2005
    Chicago suburb
    I bought this pickup with an aguilar preamp to install in my stingray copy and i need help wiring this pickup into a single pickup config. There are 5 wires, red, green, black, and white and a bare wire. The instructions that came with the pickup are not very helpful, they just tell me to match the original pickup exatly. I looked online but all the mm pickups have just two wires the black and white. So if anyone knows which wires are which or just plain how to install it please help

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
  3. m00t

m00t

Apr 5, 2005
    Chicago suburb
    Thanks for the quick reply. Thats what i was thinking so then to wire the pickup in parallel, i solder the red and white to the pot and the black green and bare to the ground?

I installed the pickup as is stated above. The preamp seems to be working perfectly. but i have problems with specific strings now. The e and the a string are strong but the d and g string are hardly audible. The g string seems to be slightly louder than the d string but i have to put my ear right next to the amp to tell that the amp is making noise.

Also, this may be a shielding or grounding issue (i doubt its a grounding issue cuz im pretty sure i grounded properly) but there is a kinda high pitch buzzing sound that occurs when i boost treble. it doesnt bother me too much but id like to get it fixed if possible.

4. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    No clue, I'd just wait for someone more knowledgable to come along or try Nordstrandforum.com or ask Carey directly.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I found my instructions for the pickup wiring that came in the package. I'll scan it in then send it to you or post here. I'll also post the info on wiring here later today.

6. m00t

m00t

Apr 5, 2005
    Chicago suburb
    thats awesome thanks a lot.

7. AlanArmstrong

AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006
    Hi!

I currently have a DL pickup in my bass (like the MM but 117mm long).
    I'm looking for a replacement and I'm caught between Bartolini and Nordstrand.

Bartolini does not make the DL model anymore but an MV will do (some routing required). (MV5CBC?, MV5C?)

Nordtrand seems to have the size I need but I'm not shure which one I should get (MM5.2?, MM5.3?, MM5.4?)

So far, I'm going for the Aguilar OSB-3 preamp.

Can anyone help me with my new setup? Anything, please.
    I have a great band in which I play a lot like Incubus-like bass lines at some points.....and some more funky Red-Hot-like parts at other.

I have to do all this by internet (I'm in Chile) so you're my only refference.

Anyone who has sound clips or any other info on these pickups, please mail me at alan_armstrong_k@hotmail.com

THANKS!