Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nordstrand MM 4.3 soundfiles? (also 4.2)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emielow, May 31, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    Hello

does anybody have soundfiles from the MM 4.3 pickup?? it's the nordstrand MM replacement pickup, with also the opportunity to switch to single coil mode?? with a single coil pickup under the MM pickup if i see it good? how does this work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i you have soundfiles online, could you post them here? espacially the funky licks .. .

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    emielow,
    I don't have any sound files on hand, but I know that Carey is in the process of recording sound samples for all of his pickups, which at some point will be available in the pickups site. As for the type of tone that you could expect from a 4.2 or 4.3, think of a classic Music Man tone but with a warmer, punchier overall sound. The pickups are designed to sound like vintage (pre Ernie Ball) MM pickups. The alnico magnets add a bit of warmth to the tone, and you might also detect more mids, sweeter highs, and fatter lows with these pickups as well.
    As far as the wiring options you've asked about, the 4.2 can be wired in series or parallel. The 4.3 can be wired in series, parallel, singlecoil, or all three if you have a 3-way selector switch (as is commonly found on Sterling and 5-string models). Also, if you don't have an EBMM that is routed for the extra third coil handing down from the bottom, but would still like to have all three wiring options mentioned above, you might want to consider the new MM4.4. It looks likek the 4.2, can be wired in series, parallel, and single coil modes, but does not have the third coil hanging down from the pickup...which might pose some installation problems if you bass doesn't have that type of route. I hope that helps a bit. :smug:

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    if you switch in single coil mode, which row of magnets is active? the brige row or the neck row.. ?

(left/right:)

[​IMG]

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    In singlecoil mode (both with EBMM and Nordstrand pickups), the bridge coil is the one that will be active.

5. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    and is the brigde coil in a MM-pickup in the same position as a jazzpickup in bridgeposition? and does it sound the same?

6. I have the MM 5.3 and have some very basic short recordings before and after I installed the Nordstrand in my Stingray5. It's only the series (bridge position, original stingray sound) I recorded, and it's short. Send me a PM with your mail adress, and I can mail them to you.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I guess it somewhat depends on which jazz-style and which MM-style basses you're talking about, as I would guess that there are slight differences depending on the builder and model. Likewise, there will be differences in tone from pickup brand to pickup brand as well. BUT....in general, the bridge coil of a MM pickup should be very close to the location of the traditional route that Fender uses for the bridge pickup in a jazz bass. Also, you can expect the single coil tone of a Nordstrand MM pickup to sound very much like the general properties we associate with a single coil pickup. Just exactly which single coil it sounds like is a whole different story! :D Hope that helps.... ;)

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I believe it works the same as the 3-coil in the SR5: when you switch to single-coil/phantom-coil mode the bridge-side coil is active and connected to a 'dummy' phantom coil to act as a humbucker except with a more single-coil tone.

I use my SR5 in single/phantom coil mode 95% of the time; just seems more punchy and articulate across all 5 strings than series or parallel does.

[I usually use just a little bass boost, sometimes a little mid boost, and about a 50% cut with the SR5 treble control. Note: I bring some treble and presence back with some boost at my Dem 201S preamp -- I just think the SR5 treble is harsh and grating.]

carl-anton, how would you describe the difference between the stock SR5 PUP and the Nordstrand MM5.3 (low end, mids, treble, & punch in the different coil modes)?

Did you have to do any extra routing?

9. No extra routing nescessary. Easy drop in installment. The sound is is fatter, meatier and more punchy. At the same time it's warmer and more balanced. The highs changed a lot. Gone are the zingy highs, and in entered the real Stingray treble. At first the bass actually sounded more trebly because my playingstyle that was adapted to getting as little click and clank with the bright stock pu, had to be changed according to the new pu. The characteristics of the hi-end just changed so I got a lot of clank at first. My style is now adjusted to this, and it's no problem anymore. I've never really used the different coil-modes and don't use them now, so I can't comment on that. The difference between the coil modes is perhaps not as great with the Nordstrand as with the stock pu. Also I think I thought (yes, it was a vague feeling ;)) that the preamp voicing of the bass, mid and treble didn't match the Nordstrands as well as the stock. Maybe it was because boosts and cuts sound different due the different sound characteristics of the pu in general. As with the stock pu, I only use a tad of bass boost and sometimes nothing at all.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks!

Sounds like it would sound very good.

Do you know what switch mode you use as your default (series, parallel, or single+phantom)?

11. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    do you have the recordings on MP3?

i'd love to hear the nordie MM in action...

12. Forgot what it is, but I use the classic Stringray mode. Switch closest to bridge. Parallel I believe, but not sure.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The bridge-ward switch position is parallel if the new PUP is connected the same way the stock one is.

Thanks.

14. Parallel it is :)

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Hopefully, just one more question... ;)

Do you think the Nordie has as much punch & cut-through in a band setting as the stock PUP?

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Wonder if an Aguilar OBP-2 or 3 might match up better with the Nordie PUP.

17. I think the sound is more assersative. It's not that it's way more punchy, it's just sounds fuller. It's like it's not just certain frequencies that cuts through but the whole sound, if you know what I mean.

18. That could be. I don't think the stock pre-amp and Nordstrand PU is a mismatch. The sound is just different, so I had to get used to it. Wonder what other Nordstrand users think.

19. AlanArmstrong

AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006
    Hi!

I currently have a DL pickup in my bass (like the MM but 117mm long).
    I'm looking for a replacement and I'm caught between Bartolini and Nordstrand.

Bartolini does not make the DL model anymore but an MV will do (some routing required). (MV5CBC?, MV5C?)

Nordtrand seems to have the size I need but I'm not shure which one I should get (MM5.2?, MM5.3?, MM5.4?)

So far, I'm going for the Aguilar OSB-3 preamp.

Can anyone help me with my new setup? Anything, please.
    I have a great band in which I play a lot like Incubus-like bass lines at some points.....and some more funky Red-Hot-like parts at other.

I have to do all this by internet (I'm in Chile) so you're my only refference.

Anyone who has sound clips or any other info on these pickups, please mail me at alan_armstrong_k@hotmail.com

THANKS!

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'd suggest contacting Cary N and check with him.
    I think the Nordstrands would be a good sound investment.

[I'm very strapped for cash at the moment or I would check them out myself.]