Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand MM in Lakland

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spiritbass, Jun 11, 2005.

1. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Ok, I've searched but have not found any posts where anyone has tried this. I've been toying with the idea of trying one of Carey's MM pickups in my 55-94 to experience the tonal results. Surely I'm not the only curious one...!?

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have a Nordstrand MM4.4 installed in one of the basses I've assembled recently and am beyond impressed with it. It's the sound I was looking for in a MM that I don't hear in a Bart - I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it is

I came close to installing one of Carey's MM4.3 tri-coils instead of the quad coil, and have it sitting here new in its original uninstalled packaging and condition. The tri-coil is splittable just like the Bart in the Lakland, and should be a simple wiring job. I know the MM4.3 isn't the p/u you need, as you have a 5 and this is for a 4.

I don't know how the Lakland MM is routed, though. Do you have a recessed center portion that provides clearance for the dummy coil, or is it flush bottom like a standard p/u route? If you have the extra recess, you may want to do a swap with a MM5.3 if you can find one in stock somewhere. Both the MM4.3 and MM5.3 utilize the same dummy coil as can be seen in the MM4.3 images here:

http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass_mod.html

R

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It's been done. ;)

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Rodent, the only mod I'm considering is removing the Bart & dropping in a 5.2. Thanks for your input!
    JPJ, I was hoping one of those brave pioneers would chime in with their opinions on tonal/string balance results... :)

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well...I know it's been done, but I don't know of any TBers off-hand that I know have done it that I could refer you to. The vast majority of MMs sold go into OLPs, EBMMs, vintage Sting Rays, etc. The Nordie/Bart switch-up doesn't occur with the same degree of regularity., but hopefully someone's out there who can comment..... :)

6. AlanArmstrong

AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006
    Hi!

I currently have a DL pickup in my bass (like the MM but 117mm long).
    I'm looking for a replacement and I'm caught between Bartolini and Nordstrand.

Bartolini does not make the DL model anymore but an MV will do (some routing required). (MV5CBC?, MV5C?)

Nordtrand seems to have the size I need but I'm not shure which one I should get (MM5.2?, MM5.3?, MM5.4?)

So far, I'm going for the Aguilar OSB-3 preamp.

Can anyone help me with my new setup? Anything, please.
    I have a great band in which I play a lot like Incubus-like bass lines at some points.....and some more funky Red-Hot-like parts at other.

I have to do all this by internet (I'm in Chile) so you're my only refference.

THANKS!