Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand MM Pickup....WOOOW!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jacove, Sep 2, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I've just installed the Nordstrand replacement pickup in my MM Sterling, and it really delivers!!! More warmth, punch and growl...it has really made my sterling come alive! :hyper:

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

That's good to hear Jacove. I'm gonna get the Nordstrand NP4 for my P-bass as soon as I get the cash. :hyper:

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Glad to hear it! I'm getting one of those in my D.Huff Z5. :) :) :)

4. Any chances of soundclips? ...please :hyper:

...oh, how much did it cost you, and was it hard to install? I'm really thinking getting one in my SR5.

EDIT: Haha, så lige at du er fra DK :) Hvor købte du pickup'en? På nettet?

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hej Carl-Anton I bought mine directly from Carey...they are pretty easy to install...no problem...Carey wrote to me some time ago that he will have some sound clips on his web site soon, so stay tuned! I find that these pickups give you more of everything, they sound more open, more warm, more defined and have tons of growl...a great buy!

Carl-Anton, jeg har ca. givet 800 kr. med fragt!...jeg betalte ingen told!

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent!!! Good to hear you like them, Jacove. ;)

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You're gonna LOVE that pickup! IMHO it's worth the price you pay for it.

Suggestion; if you like a vintage tone, throw some Thomastik Jazz flatwounds on that Precision. My bass just sings with this combination.

Let us know when you get to do it. :hyper:

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I don't have a MM type bass. I have a Pbass deluxe, with P/J pickups.

However, those Nordstrands did for my P bass what they did for your Sterling. Carey is becoming the man in the world of pickups IMHO.

Enjoy that bass! :hyper:

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
  10. When is the MM5 version coming out? And it's cool that he's providing clips on his site, but it would be even better if there were clips of the original p/us as well for sake of comparison.

Sean

11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i am interested in putting one in my stingray. do they work with the EB preamp or do i need an aftermarket pre?

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Heehee, beat ya to it. I won't play any other flat now. The TI's sound smooth as butter and the low tension has allowed to put so much more taste into my bends. :bassist:

PS. I'll let ya know when I get the pu. I'm also gonna change out all the elex. Being an elex student in tech school has its advantages :D .

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mental,
    They're direct drop-in replacements, so you can just take out the old, drop in the new, and you're good to go. ;)

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats awesome! We'll plenty of guys like you around(elex people)because of all the people like me who are NOT handy with tools :D

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Sorry, that should have read "we'll need plenty of people like you"

I gotta stop typing before the coffee kicks in.

16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    any thoughts on how these might work with a modulus flea bass (graphite neck)? i am hoping to warm up the tone and make it a little thicker.

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, "warming" up the tone of somewhat sterile MM ceramic pickups (or basses with graphite necks, in your case) is really what these Nordstrand pickups were intended to do. When Carey was reseraching the MM pickup issue, he found that old MM pickups were fatter and warmer than their contemporary bretheren. Therefore, Carey set out to make a warm, more traditional sounding MM pickup using formvar wire and alnico 5 magnets.

18. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    ah i see thanks for the info. i have a lane poor in that flea bass and sounds good but very transparent. i guess if i make the switch i have just found my pickup. thanks again.