Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nordstrand MM pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 7, 2004.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    hello does anybody has experience with the nordstrand MM pickup??

from the site:

[​IMG]

This pickup is an accurate reproduction of an early pre Ernie Ball® pickup. It features Alnico V magnets and Heavy Forvar wire for an authentic punchy, growly, and inherently fat tone.

There will be two versions of the four string Music Man® style pickup. The MM4.2 is a two coil version that can be wired series, parallel, or single coil (split-able). The MM4.3 is a three coil pickup designed to drop into a Sterling or other 3 way switched installation. It has a dummy coil on the bottom for silent single coil mode.

whats better? this or a basslines MM pickup?

i'm searchin for a lane poor but i cannot find them . . .

2. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I have an MM4.2, wire in parallel (standard Stingray wiring) in my Stingray. I love the pickup and highly recommend it. Got rid of the high end harshness of the stock pickup and gave the bass a very vintage Stingray vibe. I can't really comment on the Basslines as the only experience I've had is the Basslines MM pickup in a Lakland 4-94 I had a while ago. Just based on memory, no direct comparisons, I'd say I prefer the Nordstrand. The Lakland/Basslines was never able to quite nail the Stingray tone I was looking for, though it did get quite close. The Nordstrand is very smooth, no harshness, while still getting that classic, nasal Stingray snarl.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have the Nordstrand MM5.2. The Bartolini MMC that came in my Flea 5 is what it replaced and the only thing I directly compared it with sonically. Both are good pickups but the MM5.2 made an already decent sounding bass sound really really good.

By the way, blueberryhillbass.com is where I got mine and my experience there was a good one.

4. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I tried the Basslines in a MM in a Sterling...made it an Ernie Ball-less bass. Changed it back to stock. I'm thinking the Nord would be worth a try if it really is modeled after the original.

I saw Maroon 5 on the tele last night...5 string Ray that sounded really sweet...articulate and puffy at the same time. I wonder if his was stock or if he had it modified. Them professionals, you never know whats under the hood.