Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand MM pickups?? YAY!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jja412, Jun 26, 2004.

1. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I was just drooling; I mean perusing... Carey Nordstrand's site and found some great news. He's developing a MM4 pickup!!! :hyper:

With the great sound that I get out of my Nordstrand Jazz pickups, I am psyched to hear what the MM pu sounds like. His site says he will have some mp3s soon. I hope it nails the stingray tone, so I can include it in my next project bass.

Someday... ;)

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Nordstrand P/J set in my bass. I love'em!
    That MM4 pickup should be awesome.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, they're just about ready. The 4-string version is all but done, and the MM5 should be finished and ready any day. I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first few sets! :D :hyper: Carey has an EBMM that he's been using for testing purposes and the results have been extremely good. Not only do the Nordies improve the tone of the basses but also come a lot closer to the original MM pickups with respect to warmth and note definition.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I only have experience with the NP4/NJ4SE set in my Pbass deluxe. But the big thing here is note definition! No matter where you are on the scale, or where the tone knob is, IMHO all the notes sound full and clear. A good reason to go with Nordstrands.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    So they wont just be his pickups in a MM sized housing but rather his take on the MM sound?

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I noticed that on his site too. I'd love to hear a J+MM bass with his pickups in it.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Right. The dual coil is Carey's design and the MM4 and MM5 are Carey's versions of those "type" of pickups. They'll be drop-in replacements for MM-style basses. Hope that clears things up. ;)

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Well, as far as I'm concerned, Carey does everything great...basses, pickups, repairs, propane gas Bar-B-Que.... ;) ....
    Actually, truth be told, the man is the BEST at creating sawdust, but MAN...when it comes to charcoal..... :eyebrow:
    It's an ongoing joke....I dig propane, and he swears by buffalo dung...errrr...charcoal... :bag:
    I have this grill that I cook on nightly that cost more than all of the NASA projects combined, and Carey takes a pile of combustable poo (AKA charcoal), and makes his steaks taste embarrassingly good! The man was touched by the Gods Of All Things Bar-B-Queable and Bassable!
    GRRRRRR!!! :rollno:

All kidding aside, all of my basses have his pickups. Really the next step in tonal enhancement and consistency.
    Worth the $, and then some.

JC out......

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im thinking of going with a passive Valenti PJ for my next bass (its a long way from now) and a fretless Valenti with J + MM and in both of those Im thinking Im going to get some Nordstrand pickups.

Everything Ive heard about them Ive liked.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    anyone knows if this pu will fit into a MM Sterling?

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

It should. Arent Sterling and Stingray pickups the same size?

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, that's what Carey has been using as a "demo" bass. ;)

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    What is the expected sound from one of these. I have a Duncan alnico pup in the bridge position of my franken-jazz. Can you venture a guess as to how the sound would change?

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Just based on my conversations with Carey last week, the alnico 5 magnets really warmed things up compared to the stock pickups. And, based on what I've heard from the Nordstrand line in general, I think that you can expect a good mixture of warmth and supportive bottom (no harshness thin-sounding pickups, here) with good clarity and string-to-string balance. I'm sure Carey will have some more comments up on his site soon that will help to describe their tone, but I think you should be able to get the idea. They're intended to add warmth while retaining clarity and that "traditional/vintage" MM sound. If you've owned a vintage MM or use a Stingray or Sterling as your main bass, the tone of these pickups should sound very familiar to you. ;) Hope that helps.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Actually, it doesn't help too much since my experience is only with the Seymour Duncan MM pup. I'm wondering how my sound would change going from the that pup to a Nordstrand pup.

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Don't know about vintage when it comes to a stingray-my pickups are the NP4/NJ4SE used with flatwounds.

One thing I can tell you-everything JPJ said about warmth with clarity is right on! IMHO what you can expect is great tone with clarity anywhere on the fretboard.

Check it out-Carey's pickups are awesome!

Of course, thanks to guys like me who own these great pickups now, JPJ won't be able to keep them in stock-so he'll have to keep calling Carey, who will have to work 25 hours a day, 8days a week to keep up........................................... :D

17. Anyone have on update on this?

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Still getting close. NAMM and the current batch of basses are a priority now, but the pickups are still coming along. Soon...very soon. :D

19. As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with Carey. Turns out he's waiting for the covers. He said a week at the most. Also I asked about the tone I'm looking for. I have a SUB and I'm looking for a little more meat from it. His recommedation was to wire in series. His only caution was that the output might be too hot for the preamp. That's the only thing that scares me. How would I prevent that from happening? Other than that, based on his description, this pickup seems to be what I'm after. He also invited me over to check out his shop if I wanted. :)

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Yep...MM4 are waiting on pickup covers and the MM5 are soon to follow. If you get a chance, you should stop by Carey's and say "hi". :)