1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup for your stock EBMM Stingray 4 pickup

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Warpeg, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This is a feeler for the moment. It'll be a few days before I can play my new SR4 with an MM4.2 in it for the first time; I don't yet know if I'll like the tone of the MM4.2 or not. If I like it, then I'll keep it. If I don't like it, then I'd like to trade someone for a stock pickup...which I already know that I like. :smug:

Edit 4/5/13: I'd prefer a stock EBMM Stingray pickup with beveled pole pieces (year 2003 and newer).

2. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have a 91, old school Ernie Ball, if that suits your fancy. I can add the right amount of cash.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a pickup from 2005 or newer.

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Bump.

5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    What's the difference between years? I thought they were all the same since the early 90s.

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    You bring up a good point. My SR4 is a 2005 and I want to keep it semi-original. However, can anyone clarify with certainty if there have been any changes to the stock SR4 pickup since the 90's?

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    They started beveling the pole pieces.

8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks. After a little research, I found that the pickup started having beveled pole pieces in 2003. So...I would accept a trade for a stock EBMM Stingray 4 pickup from 2003 or newer.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Bump

10. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    For what it's worth that Nordstrand is every bit as good as the stock pickup and it's not that far off the post 2003 as far as the fact the nordstrand pickup doesn't have the pole pieces that rise out quite as much and are as sharp as the earlier pickups. I can understand if you want a bass bone stock but if it ends up being more of a pain that you bargained for just know that the difference is going to be very small. I have Nordstrands in both by stingrays that were 3band EQ because I have 2EQs in both and put a rotary switch to switch between parallel and series and to fill the empty space. I put the Nordstrands in because I didn't want to have to mod the original pickups but I'm very happy with them and doubt the stock ones will go back in as long as I have these two basses. (mine are a 2000 and a 2001 otherwise I'd be talking a trade)

11. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Bump for a great TBer and pickup.I know it used to be mine and its almost brand new.

12. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This is a tone-finding mission. I had an SR4 years ago that ended up being my favorite bass of all time in terms of tone. Like an idiot, I traded the bass away.

I'll have a chance to use the MM4.2 in a band setting tomorrow. If it suits my needs and reminds me of my old SR4's tone, then I'll keep it. If it doesn't cut it for me, I'll be interested in making a trade deal for a stock pickup.

Thanks Greg! :D

13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I think I'll be holding onto the MM4.2 for right now. The sound isn't quite like a modern SR4 stock pickup, but I still like the tone.