Nordstrand MM4.2 Replacement Stingray 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basster1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Basster1

Basster1

Feb 25, 2010
    I've just ordered a Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup to replace the Musicman stock pickup in my 1998 Stingray 4. If anyone has already gone through this procedure, I would appreciate any comments.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Since it's an MM4.2 and there's no dummy coil in the way, shouldn't be too hard.
    1. Remove the pickguard for easy access.
    2. Unscrew the pickup screws and lift the pickup out of the cavity.
    3. Before you start soldering, check to see where each wire should go - I believe the MM4.2 comes with a schematic mentioning the start and end leads for each of the two coils inside. Make sure you know how you want to wire it (series or parallel).
    4. If the MM4.2 came with its own leads attached,
      check where the stock MM pickup's leads are attached and desolder them from there. Solder the new pickup's leads to the same spot.​
      Otherwise,
      desolder the leads from the stock pickup, solder them to the new MM4.2 - there should be spots for that purpose on the bottom of the pickup.​
    5. Return the pickup to its position and gently screw the pickup screws so the pickup is firmly seated
    6. Return the pickguard.
    7. Tune up, set up the pickup height and enjoy the pickup.

Hope this helps.

3. Basster1

Basster1

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks Stealth,
    Looks pretty simple.
    I'm also hoping to hear some comments on the differences in sound. I know what I'm after from Nordstrands description of the pup, I'm just hoping to hear from someone who has experienced the change.

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    SR PU is a true classic, and Nords sounds pretty much like it.
    Although it does have a better balance over the strings, bottom is tighter, highs are smooth and has a better dynamic range in my opinion.

MM4.2 has also round edge pole pieces for a more comfortable playing over the bridge.

A nice upgrade for sure. (hope MM purist don't try to kill me...)

PawleeP likes this.
  5. Basster1

Basster1

Feb 25, 2010
    Depalm,
    Thanks for your comments. It's funny you mention 'purists' in your response because the event that sparked this change was when i got the opportunity to play a pre-EB MM for a gig and was blown away by the sound of this pup. Don't get me wrong, the stock pup in my MM is great and I will hold on to it for sure but that pre-EB sound was like the holy grail for me and I've been researching it ever since. Phat tight bottom and pronounce mid-range but non aggressive, smooth high-end.The sound you describe in your comments tells me I'm on the right track.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Basster1

When I said 'purists' I was referring to the guys who thinks that replacing an original MM part it's a heresy. Believe me, there are many guys who thinks like that.

Yeah I understand, I like how the original one sounds, but IME Nords are really, really nice! They seem to be more refined and warmer than the stock ones.

But the old 2 band preamp (boost only bass, boost /cut treble) was crucial for the pre-EB sound too. Don't know why they make them different now.

best

7. Basster1

Basster1

Feb 25, 2010
    So I took the plunge and installed the Nordy in my MM last week. I'm really happy with the change. Smoother and more phat. No regrets. Thanks for all the comments.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    What are you doing with the MM pup?

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im thinking of getting a Nordy for my Ray34.
    Can i ask if you noticed a better output from your G string? This is really bugging me at the moment.
    I know there are various factors causing it but by all accounts putting a Nordy in will help cure it the most.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The Nordy MM 4.2 has 5 wires, the MM pup has two.
    Can anyone tell me how i should wire the Nordy in?

At the moment i have the red and black wires together going to ground and the other 3 to the circuit board. It works but im not sure if its right.

cheers.

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Pick a thread. You posted exactly the same thing in two different threads, fifteen minutes apart.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, i had forgotten about this thread and started the other one without thinking.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021