1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand MM5.4; what pre-amp/wiring do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    After a lot of deliberation, the Nordstrand MM5.4 has come up trumps as the pup to put in the new bass I am building ( Ash Body, maple/maple neck, 5 str 35" scale ).

It's a 'Quad Coil' pickup.

Have any of you used this pup or had any experience with it?

Also, I will require an on board pre-amp so I was wondering what sort to get.

I play a huge variety of music but the sound I am looking for is best described as a rich punchy MM Stingray sound but with some warmth.

In adddition, does anyone have any recommendations regarding wiring this pup?

Yes, I have contacted Nordstrand but their reply is pretty much all encomapssing and I was really after some specific recommendations, experiences etc.

Thanks if you can help

Mo

2. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Soooooo.....nobody's used this or has any recommendations?

Mo

3. AlanArmstrong

AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006
    Hi!

I currently have a DL pickup in my bass (like the MM but 117mm long).
    I'm looking for a replacement and I'm caught between Bartolini and Nordstrand.

Bartolini does not make the DL model anymore but an MV will do (some routing required). (MV5CBC?, MV5C?)

Nordtrand seems to have the size I need but I'm not shure which one I should get (MM5.2?, MM5.3?, MM5.4?)

So far, I'm going for the Aguilar OSB-3 preamp.

Can anyone help me with my new setup? Anything, please.
    I have a great band in which I play a lot like Incubus-like bass lines at some points.....and some more funky Red-Hot-like parts at other.

I have to do all this by internet (I'm in Chile) so you're my only refference.

Anyone who has sound clips or any other info on these pickups, please mail me at alan_armstrong_k@hotmail.com

THANKS!

4. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Alan, I settled for the Nordstrand MM5.4 and shelled out extra to geth the Audere pre-amp in preference to the Demeter or Aguilar. This was based on about 12mths research and like you, there's nothing here in the land to go and try.

I'm waiting on my bass body/neck to be finished. PM me your email address and as soon as I'm done, I'll email you some samples.

Cheers

Mo

5. AlanArmstrong

AlanArmstrong

May 31, 2006
    Well thanks!

Let me know when you're done with your setup.

It would be great to hear how your bass sounds before making my final desition.

Send me some samples at
    alan_armstrong_k@hotmail.com

Good look!

6. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    FWIW I've just fitted a Nordstrand MM5.3 into an MM SR5. I have also installed the first of John East's new 2-band BTB01 with Stingray characteristics and an East Mid Sweep.

MM use a balanced input to provide noise/hum cancelling on their pre-amp so I needed to slightly modify the Nordstrand to bring out all 6 coil connections to a 3-pole, 3-way selector switch to do the parallel/series/single coil switching.

With the Mid Sweep set at the centre detent it has a flat response, so I should have a classic 2-band Stingray sound and if I need to tweak the mids, then it's there for the asking.

I've not had a chance to try it out objectively yet but initial tests are promising.

7. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Will do! ;)

Mo

8. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks OBBM

Will look forward to your full test out results.

Mo

9. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I have a second SR5 with a Nordstrand MM5.3 (parallel only) and an Aguiller OBP-3. I've been gigging that for about 15 months. It is very clean and punchy, piano like in the upper register and can be very growly low down. It is very different to the basic SR5 however it's difficult to draw direct comparisons as this one has a Status Carbon-Fibre neck which makes quite a difference in itself. It has years of sustain and I love the overall sound and feel, but it's lost some of that Stingray sound.