1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Musicman pickup questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 3, 2013.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just a couple questions for anyone who's had a number of Musicman basses over the years, as well as tried these newer replacement pickups in anything...

1) Do they compare tonally to any particular generation of the stock MM pickups closer than others? (Pre-EB, late 80s/early 90s, late 90s, etc)

2) If anyone was experiencing the "weak G" phenomenon, did replacing the pickup fix or aid that at all?

3) Since the 4.2 or 4.4 can be wired series or parallel, which sounds more "traditional musicman-ish"?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I know at least a few people who have successfuly used the Nordy Stingray pickups to fix the "G string problem". I have a Stingray inspired Nordstrand. The G string on it is as good as any bass I've owned.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    1) Carey used a '78 stingray as a platform for developing his MM pup
    2) IME there's no string output issue in these pups
    3) x.2 is the exact MM style pup (dual coil) x.4 is a quad coil style (for humcan single coil switching).

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Bass bro, pm me some deets on what's up.

5. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Gonna hijack here

Anyone know how Nordy pups would work with a stingray HH and it's coil selector?

6. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Maurilio:
    As always, you're the man! Thanks for the info.
    I knew that Nordstrand wasn't having issues with the "Weak G" thing, as I'd read on the posts before these came out and that was a joke someone posted.
    BUT... there's debate as to whether the weak G phenomenon was due to bass design issues versus the pickups. Basically, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced an improvement in their bass by swapping the pickup alone.

From what I've heard in the youtube videos, though, the pickup is phenomenal sounding.
    Which way should it be wired (the 4.2) if you wanted the most "Stingray-ness" out of it?

Jepus:
    Great question! I'm wondering that as well. No worries on a hijack.

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    never done it, but I would think it should be a pretty simple swap (the wire's color code is different though).
    Aren't the new MM pup's covers a different shape now?

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :) thank you!

I've installed our MM (either .2 and .4) pups on laklands, nordies, ernie's balls (!) and more, and never had unbalanced output issues (it is really also in how the instrument is setup, IME/O).

The MM stingray standard/default wiring is parallel.

9. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yeah covers now are just flat on the bass side rather than the 2 rounded bits.

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    if the EBMM are not glued/epoxied in, it should be pretty easy to swap coils and use the oem covers, I would assume. Again I have not seen the new pups yet...

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    They are glued in and the coils won't fit in the EB covers without modification. I tried this swap. Unsuccessful.

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I owned a 78 Stingray. Never had the G string issue. I must have been lucky. I sure did like that bass. yum!