1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NJ4 Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassfart, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I just installed a set of Nordstrand NJ4 70's wind pickups in my Jazz bass and man do they ever sound killer. Huge low end and great clarity. I fully recommend these pickups to anyone wanting to try out something new.

2. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I love he way NJ4s sounds on my bass. But I use the regular winding.

3. "T"

"T"

Apr 6, 2010
    What did you have before?

4. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Agreed.
    Got the standard wind NJ4s in my fretless jazz and they sound amazing.

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Like Depalm we are known converts of the Nordstrand pickups.

You will notice how even they are, besides the general tonal quality.

I have his NJ4s and 5 (60s and 70s wind) in all my Jazz bass (I usually have 4-7 on hand althought this behavior is winding down). It really depends on the natural timber of the instrument if it s going to get a 70s Vs 60s wind.

I just received a 70 NJ5 that I'm putting into a Fender 5 (alder/rosewood) just because I wanted to give it touch more spark.

If its a brighter sounding bass in general (Maple neck or Graphite) I will go with the 60s wind (which is in the majority of my basses, except for 2)

Enjoy

6. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I had stock pickups in the bass before. They sounded really good, I just wanted to try out the Nordstands of which I am very pleased.

[QUOTE="T";9847701]What did you have before?[/QUOTE]

7. "T"

"T"

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm assuming Fender. That's cool. It helps reference the difference. Thanks.

8. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Yes, the bass is a '78 Fender Jazz. The stock pickups sounded really good, just a little low on the output. I played my Jazz with the Nordstrands at a gig tonight and WOW, the bass sounded HUGE. I am keeping the stock pickups just in case I ever need to sell.

[QUOTE="T";9855988]I'm assuming Fender. That's cool. It helps reference the difference. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

9. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

Nov 16, 2012
    hello!

i noticed this was an old thread, but it was the first existing thread about these pickups that came up on google, so there ya have it!

anyhow

im feeling the project bug recently and want to purchase a set of these quality jazz pickups and put them in ..well, a not so quality bass (epiphone thunderbird) please dont laugh!! ok laugh a little of ya want :)

i dont have the funds for a whole new bass, or a whole new body which has quality par to the pickups so i thought id throw out a few questions :

should i not do it at all and wait til i get a better construction? and if i did install them, would i be able to reinstall them on another piece at another time without it losing any of its effectiveness?

could it be the most hoppin' epi bird in town?? :confused: :rollno: lol thanks in advance for any replies.

10. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Probably you'll have to route your Epiphone thunderbird. I wouldn't recommend that but its not my bass.

11. Bisonzone

Bisonzone

Nov 16, 2012
    that would be a cosmetic nightmare! haha.

i just popped out the existing pickup. I do not have a jazz pickup to see if it fits, but i do have a spare jazz pickup cover, and it fits like a glove.

would that have been all id need to route?

thanks again for any responses, i know this probably seems unorthodox but it's been on my mind the past couple of days haha.

edit: Thinking a bit further into it... would i be better to cut the wires at the pots to save wire length for the pickups? does it matter?

thanks!