1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NJ4 question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ronen, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    I just got a new pair of Nordstrand NJ4 pickups after a friend got them a few months ago.
    I notice a few differences, although it's the same model.
    His set has three wires (an additional one is coming from a copper tape attached to the bottom of the pole pieces). The pole pieces for the A & D strings are higher than the outer ones, following the neck radius. The plastic covers were rounded with matt finish.
    Mine have only two wires, all pole pieces are the same height, shiny covers not rounded.
    Anyone knows if these are different, older/newer versions? Different specs?Can I add the third wire by myself, do I need to?
    Thanks!

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
  3. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    No... we both have the NJ4 single coils. His set has the third wire and mine doesn't.
    I also have the NJ4SE on a different bass... I know the difference.
    Thanks.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    did you take the covers off to check it out?

We don't install pole pieces ground wire on single coils.....

The staggered pole pieces (A and D) are used only on split coils models.

M

5. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    LOL...
    The guy is a student of mine. He ordered (and paid for) a NJ4 set. He then brought it here and I did the installation. I clearly remember one coil (the pickups slipped out of the covers easily) and a third exposed wire... I'm not 100% sure regarding the pole pieces height.
    So, just to make sure I do not need to see a doctor, I'll wait for Thursday when he comes in for a lesson and I'll double check everything.
    Thanks!

6. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    OK,
    Couldn't wait so I gave him a call...
    Is there a doctor on TB? :bawl:

You got it right maurilio, I remembered wrong. No third wire and all pole pieces the same. Only thing is the plastic covers are different.

Let this thread be a beacon for those who always think they're right :meh::D

7. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The third shielding only wire is needed for the Audere preamp, because in that system the signal ground is biased up to 1/2 Vcc (~4.5V) while the shield ground is at 0V so you can't connect them together.

8. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    So why Nordstrand don't use it on single coils?