1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NJ4 vs Aero type 1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mad Tango, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mad Tango

Mad Tango Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    I have a great 74' Jazz and I have had the orginal pups, Barts, Lindy Fralin, Sadowskys, and now Nordstrand NJ4 in this bass. I really like the Nordstrands. Yes, I know this quest for tone has a long road. However; I heard D. Jones's Lakland w/Aeros on You Tube and thought man 'O' man what tone. Check out his sound type The Rolling Stones - You can't always get what you want. The hugh show with the red background and he is playing his black Lakland model. Has anyone got to compare in person the aeros to the nord single coil models. If not those with Aeros let me know what you think about them. By the way, I still have the Sads and I got 2/3 my money on the other pups sold. LOL Thanks!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Type 1's rock! They do a raw thing that most other pickups just don't. They're like the anti-bart ... Nordstrand stuff is damned good. I have Big Split's in a 55-01, used their Alnico MM & J replacements in a 44-02 - great just great - but not quite the same thing as the Aero.

My current fav J pickup is the JBX-4 from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars.

One real advantage to Pete is that you can actually talk to the guy, describe what you like, don't like and that's what he builds ya. Want a little extra warmth, laid back highs, big punch ... just say the words ... his attention to detail, particularly in shielding is phenomenal.

Now this is windy sailing season in Hood River and Pete's a windsurfer guy so ... you might have to wait for that call. Better to call early in the day before the wind get's up... emailing him is better yet.

http://vintagvibeguitars.com

3. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I think my '05 black sparkle DJ has them. They do sound awesome! They are really open and full range. More articulated mids and highs that other Jazz basses I've played. Don't have Nordsrands to compare though:bawl:

4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  5. I had Nordy's and I HAVE AEROS. Aeros give me more of the punch and ballz I like w/o losing articulation. Type??? = Alnico5 magnets is all I know. Both are great pups. You can talk to Larry@Aero about your wishes as well. He's a genius.

6. Mad Tango

Mad Tango Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    Might have to just get a set of Aeros.

7. I have Aero 5-string Type 1s in my Lull Modern 5 (it was a run of only 4-5 Mike Did with them) and whenever I get the chance to outfit my custom Lull I know the pickup selection is already taken care of. :D

"The Anti-Bart" should be their slogan... and I even like "the Bart sound" when teamed with the correct preamp in the right bass... :smug:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021