1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand NJ4 vs. Fralin Single Coil Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Apr 6, 2006.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Tell me about the differences. Both are high-quality "vintage" jazz single coils. I've read a lot about both on here, but I can't seem to decide which to go with. The bass they are going into is an all-passive Jazz bass with a series/parallel option. I'd like to stick with single coils because I really like they way they sound when thrown into series, vs humbucking jazz pickups.

I'm after a vintage-ish tone with some more bottom to them. As for the highs I don't want anything extremely bright either. I'm not a slap player, and it would be all for fingerstyle rock/blues.

So do either of these have any qualities specific to them that would make one worth getting over the other? I can get either of them overwound a bit by up to 10% or so.
    I'm interested in experiences and reviews mostly. I've read Smash's shootout, though the Fralins aren't on the list. The NJ4 review he gave was damn promising though.

Thanks!

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I cannot vouch for either personally, but I do run the NJ4SEs in my bass. I love them, I bought them used and would gladly pay list for them now. All I can seemingly suggest is just jumping the gun and buying one set and if you don't like it sell it or trade it for the other set in the classifieds.

P.S. you're the man who helped me decide on purchasing Barts in place of my EMG Hzs. <3

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    :D
    They are sweet pickups, aren't they?

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He hearts you!

5. I´m after the most vintage-ish tone as you, but I don´t need more output than avarage.
    I had Fralins and they were too "highoutputting" compare to Fender stock Original Jazz Bass pus. So I came back to Fenders for now and I am home again... Further I am interested in Norstrands NJ4, because they should be a bit "loweroutputting" , for me maybe more vintage-ish? After what I have read, Fralins (more than Nostrands) could be what you are looking for. You can wait till I try NJ4 and will let you know.