Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand NJ4SE Vs Antiquity II Jazz PUPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by goody658, Jan 10, 2006.

1. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    Hi Guys

I have read Smashes PUP guide and have decided to replace my stock PUPS for my Highway 1 Jazz.

There are a few reasons for this but manly the buzz or 60 cycle hum drives me nuts. I have also looked at shielding as well and will probably do that if my new PUPs need it. Although if they dont that would be great.

How would the two pups compare, other people say that they are both really good tone wise so i spose that it only comes down to Buzzyness or lack of.

Which ones would be quiter and are they both able to have an S1 switch installed.

Nordstrand NJ4SE Seymour Duncan Antiquity II

Thanks

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for the dual-coil J's you just combine the hots and combine the grounds and essentially have a 2lead pickup. Unless you want to wire up each coil differently of course.

This would mean that you're fine with an S1 setup, but the fact that they're dual-coil's means you could series/parallel each pickup internally as well as with the other pickup. Just gives you more options but I'm pretty sure you can wire it straight like singlecoils.

3. Interestingly, i was about to post the same question, substituting the NJ4's for NP4's. ha. I'm curious to see what comes of this thread.

4. i had a set of dimarzio ultrajazz pickups, and it really wasn't worth the effort to make them internally series/parallel switchable. they sounded really thin and lifeless when wired in parallel.

i would expect similar results with other pickups, too.

robb.

5. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I have the NJ4SV pickups and I'm 99% sure that they have only 2 wires, so I think being able to series/parallel each individual pickup can't happen without major surgery. But you can wire up your S-1 switch with any pickups. It wires the pickups S/P with each other, and not within each pickup itself.

As far as which pickups would be quieter, I'd guess that the NJ4SE's would be since they're hum-cancelling.

To add a little food for thought, I also have a 60's Classic series jazz with the stock pickups (they might be the same ones in the Highway 1). I did a complete shielding job on it and it is a little quieter than my Marcus Miller with the NJ4SV pickups! This is with both pickups on full volume. With one pickup soloed, the NJ4SV's are quieter for obvious reasons. My point is that the shielding helps a great deal. I prefer the tone of single coil pickups, and I wouldn't hesitate to use single coils provided that the bass is fully shielded. I'm a believer in shielding.

6. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks telekaster

that sounds like a good way to go i might hold off the new pups and just do a shield job and install a S1 for the mean time.

I will prb get new pups anyways so if anyone has any other comments please keep em comming

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just did a pickup shootout with Brian Ristola of www.bestbassgear.com. We tried a bunch of single coil pickups. The bass was one of his 4 strings that he's finishing up. It was very well shielded and none of the single coils had any noise when soloed. We tried Nordstrand's, Fralins, Duncuns (2 types), Aero's and Bartolini single coils. I believe that was all of them. They all sounded great except for one set (not mentioned in any of the other posts so no need to go into which set). To our surprise the Duncun SJB-1's were are favorites of the bunch. The Nordstrand's and the Fralin's were very similar and vintage like with that high mid grind and grit. The Fralin's were slightly darker and wider on the low end than the Nordie's. The Nord's had a little more grind. The Duncun's had more of a 60's vintage thing going on. They were very burpy and had that farting effect when you dug in. I love that! To me it was the most J bass sounding pickup of the bunch, at least what I associate with a J bass sound. Those pickups made a huge impression on me. They were almost all very impressive pickups but the for my money the SJB-1's are as good as it gets. Your mileage may vary.

8. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Wow emjazz. Thanks for that tidbit of info! I really like my NJ4SV's, but they don't burp and fart like my old Bart 9J's did. I miss that sound sometimes. They are fantastic pickups though, and I'd have a hard time switching them out. I am willing to play around with my 60's classic jazz though.

SJB-1's huh? hmmmmm... I must check these out!

justin

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah Justin, the SJB-1's. Click here

The Nordie's were cleaner and more even across the eq (except in the lows where they tend to be just a bit shy) but the Duncun's had that midrange burp. It just depends on what you're looking for.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've had several fellow TBers replace their stock Highway pickups with Nordstrands (both J and P basses) and we do a special set for these basses that will allow you to continue to use the S-1 switch. It's as easy as adding the extra wiring required....no problem at all! ;) :bassist:

11. goody658

goody658

Nov 15, 2005
    JpJ

I checked out your site this morning. Do you have any problems sending gear to Australia if i end up getting the Nords as there next to impossible to get over here.

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I regularly ship overseas, but I'll send you a PM to discuss.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I've played and owned several sets of the Nordstrand singles and SEs. There is, IMO, a substantial difference between the 2. I like his single coils...they do sound great! But for a really, REALLY burpy Jaco-like bridge tone, IMO, the ONLY choice is the SE set. They really nail that J thing, and are quiet as a mouse thinking about pissing on cotton.
    I personally don't like the sound of most of the commercially available J replacements (Barts, Fender, and ESPECIALLY the Duncan stuff), but the ones I found that had the most J-like character were the Fralins, Nords, and the Villex pickups.
    Your milage will most likely vary...different strokes for different bottom-dwellers!!!

...oh, and if you need Nords, Jay at BHB or Brian at BBG are EXCELLENT guys to deal with!

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Matt, have you tried the Duncun SBJ-1's? If not I'd be willing to bet that you'd dig 'em. I was really surprised by how much I liked them.

15. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the Duncan SJB-1's in my passive Warmoth and they are very responsive when you dig in. The bridge pickup has a lot of snap to it. I replaced a set of Fender CS 60's four years ago with them and never looked back.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've tried most of the J sets out there, with the notable exception of the Fralins and the Villex.

I've been putting the NJ4SE's up against the Aero's and Duncans. I think the NJ4SE's have more middle-mids and high-mids than the rest. However, I actually think they're kind of thin in the lows and low mids (or at least, what I consider low mids). I think of the NJ4SE's as the pickup equivalent of the Bergie HT112...it kind of shares alot of the same tonal characteristics.

I actually prefer the Aero Type 1's for that modern/vintage jazz tone...they seem more muscular than the NJ4SE's with better low mids. For a more vintage single-coil tone, I agree with Andy...the Duncans do that better than anything else I've tried.

For burpy Jaco mids, use the formula Jaco used...single coil bridge PU + passive tone roll off.