Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand NJ4SV?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jul 3, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Anybody got any comments on these yet? I know they haven't been around that long yet. I have the SE version in one of my J basses and I love them - I was thinking of trying some of these SVs in another bass to give me more of a vintage J type sound. I'd rather go for these than the single coil NJ4s as I do like the hum-cancelling aspect.

Mike, didn't you try a set of these? Or Rodent? Jay? Or even the man himself - Carey?

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm jonesing for a set of the SV's (gasp! I now have an incomplete set of Nordstrand J4 offerings :eek: ) ... and I already have a project lined up for them (I have several projects lined up and in the works right now, and each one is getting a different Nordstrand configuraion.) Just need the do-re-mi to do it, and payday ain't until next week.

R

p.s. I do have a custom set of Nordstrands in the works for a 5er. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: I gotta be silent for the time being, but when they arrive I'll definitely post a review

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I sold several sets....over the course of the last several weeks/month or so. At least a few went to fellow TBers, if I'm not mistaken. I still have one or two sets left.

Essentially, the SV set is a hum-canceling verion of the NJ4s. Therefore, unless you're specifically looking for that "true" singlecoil tone and/or don't have the extra bucks to bump up to the price of the SVs, the tone between the two is going to be virtually identical...or at least as close as you can get. Granted, a split-coil hum-canceling jazz will never sound EXACTLY like a true singlecoil, but of course...one of those reasons why they'll never be identical is also why you won't get noise and 60 cycle hum with the SVs either!!! :D

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yes sir, I did. Another high quality production from Carey, no surprise there. Jay did a good job of summing it up, so I will shut up now.

-Mike

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I recently installed a set of these in a Lakland Daryl Jones 4 string. I do really like the stock Aero single coils, but prefer humbuckers where possible. The problem with J's has of course been that it's really not been possible to find a humbucker that sounds like a single coil. So, when I heard about these I thought I'd give them a shot.

I can say that Carey has done a fantastic job with these, while there's still some humbucker sound characteristics (slight loss of high end compared to s/c) these sound suprisingly close to single coils without the hum. Thumbs up!

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey David,
    Glad to hear that you're digging the SVs! :D You're right in that you'll never be able to get a hum-canceling jazz pickup to sound 100% "exactly" like a singlecoil, but I think that Carey has done a pretty fantastic job of getting as close to the sound of his NJ4s as possible while still offering the benefits of a hum-canceling pickup. Good to hear they're working out for you. ;)

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey David,

Any thoughts on how these sound compared to UltraJazzes, or Sad hum-cancellers?

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The mid range is more present on the Nords I'd say. By that I don't mean that there's a mid hump or anything, it's just there, and not scooped like the UJ

It's more of a vintage+ sound I'd say, compared to the more modern sounding UJ / Sadowsky h/c's.

9. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Good thread and so applicable fo me :)

How would the EQ curve look like between the SV and SE? Meaning, do the SE's have more low mids or "bark?" Also, how is the output (hot? medium?). I'm considering either of these for my Warwick Corvette Std w/ Bart NTBT pre.

Thanks!
    Scott :D

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's hard for me to make a detailed direct comparison, since I tried them in different basses. (I tried the NJ4SE's last year in a Geddy Lee Jazz, the NJ4SV's were in a Lakland Daryl Jones 4)
    But I think it's fair to say that the SE's have more of a midrange emphasis.

11. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

Thanks! :D

12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis

I totally agree with David. I have two sets of SE's and a set of SV's. The SE's have more mid "oomph" than the SV's. I love both pickups, but I was surprised to find that I prefer the SE's for their slightly more modern sound. I always thought I would choose vintage over modern if they were both humcancelling.

The SV's are an excellent pu, IMO, and Carey did an incredible job capturing the vibe of his NJ4's in a humcancelling design.

13. Sorry for the old thread revival, but in the last few posts people said the SE's have more midrange emphasis or oomph than the SV's.

Would you guys say this emphasis in the low or upper mids? I'm specifically looking for a good presence in the 600 - 900 hz area. Thanks